Help! Is it shell rot? Ornate woods

Ashleyscianna

Hello, I'm currently dealing with the backlash of buying ornate wood turtles from a local pet store. They were in terrible condition, and I'm not sure how to begin helping them. Each turtle has its own problem and some share a few problems. I have had them for two months or so. Their problems seemed manageable, but this last week I've seen it get out of hand. I'm worried I misdiagnosed my turtles and been treating their injuries all wrong.

There are two females and a male. All three are ornate wood turtles. They live in a mixture of bark and sphagnum moss. With 2/3 land and 1/3 water. There are two filters always running so their water is always clean. Humidity and temp are always within healthy ranged because of my multiple lights (UVA and UVB) and humidifier.

So how is it that these problems I've been treating worsened?

One female had an eye infection a while ago and I treated it with animal eye drops. The infection left the eye completely, but now there is a scab below her eye. I have no idea how to help that because there isn't much info on it.

Both the females have a problem with their plastrons. At first I treated it like shell rot, but it only looks like it's getting worse. Where the plastron scutes connect, the shell has peeled away to reveal small amounts of blood and a white-ish yellow surface. The amount of surface increases slightly every so often, and I'm worried it might not be shell rot because there is no white bone showing. Just that white-ish yellow surface with blood. I can upload pictures if need be.

The male's shell was in fine condition when I got him except in some places where the carapace scutes meet. The shell layers near a few spots look like they've pealed away to reveal a hard white surface. Is this the shell rot then? Photos can be provided for him too.

Thanks in advance for the help. I think I just got in over my head and am unable to really afford a vet. Is there any options I have? Is it shell rot? Something worse?

Thank you,
Ashley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
you'll have to keep them dry while you're treating them. But please post pictures of the problem areas for us.

Ashleyscianna

Because of the eye and skin lesions I'm thinking there's more going on besides shell rot. You need to take them to a qualified turtle/tortoise vet ASAP.
Okay. Thank you. I'm frustrated that I bought all of these turtles for quite a lot of money and all of them came with terrible problems. I do have a really nice reptile vet in the area and I'll contact them. How about the other photo oh my male turtle who's shell has revealed a small white spot where the scutes meet? image.jpeg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
These guys are in tough shape. Have you been giving them supplements with their food? I know my turtle had some sores on him and his nails/beak fell off due to lack of vitamin a. Wouldn't hurt to sprinkle a mix on to their meals.

Can't give you anything definitive, I'm no expert, just giving you something that may possibly help.

Have you been putting anything on the wounds? Maybe some betadine to keep them from getting infected?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's about as advanced as I've ever seen. That shell rot.
The dot on the back of the shell looks like nothing, but the plastron issue need a vet and soon.

Ashleyscianna

These guys are in tough shape. Have you been giving them supplements with their food? I know my turtle had some sores on him and his nails/beak fell off due to lack of vitamin a. Wouldn't hurt to sprinkle a mix on to their meals.

Can't give you anything definitive, I'm no expert, just giving you something that may possibly help.

Have you been putting anything on the wounds? Maybe some betadine to keep them from getting infected?

I just ordered some. I add lots of vitamin A and D to their food. I do it every other feeding so maybe I'll increase that. I put hydrogen peroxide on the wounds and then neosporin. Then I usually put Vaseline or I cover it. They are currently in a Rubbermaid with no moisture (they get time in the water each day). I don't know what else to do! I'm saving up to take them to the vet. Thank you for your help!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I just ordered some. I add lots of vitamin A and D to their food. I do it every other feeding so maybe I'll increase that. I put hydrogen peroxide on the wounds and then neosporin. Then I usually put Vaseline or I cover it. They are currently in a Rubbermaid with no moisture (they get time in the water each day). I don't know what else to do! I'm saving up to take them to the vet. Thank you for your help!

I wouldn't add supplements daily, as they can overdose fairly easily I think. Just keep up the schedule you've been doing.