HELP-injured Box Turtle

pi01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Came home yesterday and found my dogs fighting over a young box. Hes been chewed on pretty badly and the marginal scutes have been chwed off. Luckily, my leo tort has been moved outside and i repurposed his winter cage to house the little guy. I decided to leave him completely alone till this AM to minimize shock and he is moving this AM. Was going to offer protein food this morning and see if he accepts.
Any sll advice is greatly appreciated

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Can you post s picture of the damage? Is he still bloody? If so, he needs a clean but moist environment, so damp towels rather than dirt.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I need pics to offer advice on what to do with the animal. But make sure the tank you have them in has an ambient temp of 82-84.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Need pics to see how bad the damage is.

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
Came home yesterday and found my dogs fighting over a young box. Hes been chewed on pretty badly and the marginal scutes have been chwed off. Luckily, my leo tort has been moved outside and i repurposed his winter cage to house the little guy. I decided to leave him completely alone till this AM to minimize shock and he is moving this AM. Was going to offer protein food this morning and see if he accepts.
Hi! I found a 3-toed male that is missing the scutes over his tail and hindquarters. Even so, he was able to close almost completely when I picked him up out of the wild. He doesn't even bother anymore, but I offer this info to you in hopes it will make you feel a little better about your little guys future. I also posted last spring with a little box turtle brought to me after being run over by a commercial lawn mower. It took off a big piece of carapace leaving only a thin membrane over the air sac. I took her to my vet everyother day for antibiotic injections and I administered pain meds to her orally with a syringe for the first week. I also rinsed her wound with an antiseptic solution several times a day. Like another reader said, it is important to keep wounds as clean as possible. She was housed in a wading pool indoors on clean newspapers. She was able to crawl under a sheet as her little "hide". If your turtles injuries are confined to the edges of the shell and relatively minor, I think you can rinse them with a sterile saline solution . It would really help all of us if we could see a picture and the extent of the damage.
BTW, Shelly is completely healed over with a lovely "Mother of Pearl" shell regrowth w here the carapace was removed and it was a very large area -- almost 1/4 of her total carapace area. Unfortunately, the 3 toe with completely missing scutes did not create any regrowth but he's getting along just fine with his "bare bottom" exposed.

M

Maggie Cummings

If that turtle has open wounds, clean once with Betadine, then wash frequently during the day with a Clohexadine solution. Mix 1 part water to 20 parts Clorhexidine. You can get it at a feed store, or buy Nolvasan at the pharmacy (it's already mixed). Dry dock the turtle, keep it warm and I would use injectable Naxcel once every 24 hours for 3 weeks, IM...keep warm dry and quiet.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
A great thing you could look into is finding a wildlife rehabilitation center near you. Most take turtles and they can get veterinary care and be released back into the wild!:)

M

Maggie Cummings

How is it today?...just as an aside, dogs are the biggest predator of captive tortoises and turtles. Turtles should be protected from even the nicest dogs. Most of us have a turtle chewed by dog story. I had a Calif desert tortoise that had her leg chewed off by her companion of 20 years...go figure...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

How is this turtle doing? We are going to need more information/pics of him as well.