Help! Injured box turtle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I use clay pots split in half for hides in my box turtle pens. One of my male Floridas stuck his head through the hole at the end (half a hole) and got stuck. I have no idea how long he was there. I just found him right now. He was bleeding from both eyes and ants were crawling on him. I slathered him with vaseline and was able to get his head out but his eyes look terrible - bulging out! I rinsed him well with warm water, put genticin in both eyes and gave him a shot of Baytril. He is in a dark room on a towel to de-stress. Now what? There are no emergency reptile vets in tonight so I have no where to take him. :( (I'm not even sure there's anything more they can do for him anyway.) He is still strong and moving about but he can't see. If anyone has any advice for me please let me know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help you. Just wanted to say, I am sorry and sounds like you have done all you probably can. Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Sorry I don't have any medical advice, but holy crap, that is a completely awful freak accident. Sounds like he was really getting strangled, with the bulging eyes and all, bless his heart. I hope he's recovers. I don't know what a vet would or could do for him... ??? Keep us posted, though. :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I can only say that you have certainly done all that you can. Remember, the gentamycin ointment will obscure his vision, as well as the swelling. It may just take time for the swelling to resolve. What else could a vet do?

Why don't you email and/or PM emysemys (Yvonne)?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Sorry to hear of the injury. I don't have much to add other than expanding the possibility of answers to: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/boxturtlelist/

Tess Cook is on the list and she's incredibly knowlegable along with others.

Don't anyone get me wrong...I love the Tortoise Forum but I'm a firm believer in the more info you have the better. I'm not advocating one list is better than the other. I'm advocating the more resources a person uses to help there torts the better for the tort!

Good luck. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, I agree ... Tess Cook is very good with box turtles. :) He is about the same this morning - eyes swollen, shut, and bloody. I put a liberal amount of Teramycin on his eyes before going to bed last night to keep them moist. I gave him Genticin drops this morning and then soaked him well. He did soak his eyes for a while. Later I will put more Teramycin on them to keep them moist. Other than his eyes, he seems okay. He is strong and moving about. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Thank you everyone. It was horrible finding him that way. :(

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I hope your Box Turtle heals. With a horrible experience for your turtle and you to find him that way. :( I will say a prayer for his speedy recovery.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad to hear he is moving about. Doesn't sound too depressed. Please keep us updated on his condition. Fingers crossed for his quick and full recovery.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I hope your guy gets better. Moving and strong are very good signs.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Hope he's better today. Does he have any interest in eating? Best wishes to both of you!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He opened one eye today so it looks like he will have vision in at least one eye! :) I am taking him to the vet at 5:00 still.

mariellen

5 Year Member
Hey can we get an update on your boxie. We have not heard anything since the vet visit. Hope everything is good.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
The vet visit went well. I guess getting his head stuck like that cut off some of the blood supply so his eyes bulged out to the point where the eyelids tore open. His outer eye lids are in pretty bad shape, but the inner ones are fine. Both his eyeballs are still there, so now we just have to wait for him to heal. She said I did everything right with him, so that feels good. Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes for the little guy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.