Help in identifying my tortoise please

Katie 74

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello all, I'm new to the forum but have had my tortoise for 35 yrs. I would appreciate your help in identifying her please. Thank you :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497363051.155568.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Katie. Looks like a Greek tortoise. If you'll show us a picture of the underside we can tell you for sure.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there, Katie! Some of our tort experts will be chiming in soon to id your tort. I'm relatively new to the hobby myself (only 2 yrs), and can only id "the obvious ones" like sulcata, Redfoot, Russian, sometimes will luck out with some others. But while waiting would you please tell us bit more about yourself and your tort? What's her name? How big is she! Do you know the sex? Where are you located? How you keep her, indoors ? outdoors ?, what type of enclosure? What do you feed her? And what's this thing on top of her carapace? My eyes are getting bad and I can't really see what it is. Did you put something on her for size reference for us? Also wanted to tell you that whatever species this is a beautiful tortoise i wanted to congratulate you on having successfully kept her for this long. You must be doing SOMETHING right! Oh and a very warm welcome from Texas:)

Katie 74

UK
Hi, her name is May & it's a snail on her shell :). We think that she is about 50, she eats a lot of dandelions, plantain, milk thistle and a little cucumber & tomato. She loves strawberries, but she doesn't get them often. She wasn't too happy posing for the picture below - can't say that I blame her!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497389849.736872.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think she's a boy. And I think it may be a Hermanns, but let's send a shout out to @HermanniChris just to be sure.

Katie 74

UK
Thank you Yvonne & Chris, I really appreciate your help with this.

Yvonne - your response made me laugh. I only knew that she was female as she once laid an egg...and then squashed it!