Help, idk what this is

Rukahh

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
This just appeared on my tortoises face. Do I need to take him to the vet? What could it be? The first picture is the white thing on his head, second one is for reference it didn't used to be there. Thanks!

20201208_085050.jpg20201103_132139.jpg

Rukahh

Arizona
This is also for reference it wasnt there..

Attachments

• 20201030_141939.jpg
    20201030_141939.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

zovick

10 Year Member!
This is also for reference it wasnt there..
It looks as though it could be a piece of dried lettuce or other food material on the tortoise's nose. Try taking a wet cotton swab and see it it will rub off or not.

Have you been soaking the tortoise regularly? If so, it seems that it would possibly come off after the tortoise is soaked if you rub on it.

Rukahh

Arizona
It looks as though it could be a piece of dried lettuce or other food material on the tortoise's nose. Try taking a wet cotton swab and see it it will rub off or not.

Have you been soaking the tortoise regularly? If so, it seems that it would possibly come off after the tortoise is soaked if you rub on it.

He gets soaked daily. We arent comfortable keeping water in his tank for now being hes so small and young, so his daily soaking are the only time he drinks water. I did try rubbing it off.. it feels exactly like the rest of him, it's just white now as of yesterday. Here is a better photo I just took.

Attachments

• 20201208_091358.jpg
    20201208_091358.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 20201208_091322.jpg
    20201208_091322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think it is his nose. But I have no idea why it's white. And it turned white in one day? Strange.

Your baby should have water all the time. Get a terra cotta saucer for plant pots. It should be big enough for him to climb in. Push the saucer down into the substrate until the lip of the saucer is even with the substrate.

With their gently sloping sides and straight in access, they are easy for babies to use.

Rukahh

Arizona
I think it is his nose. But I have no idea why it's white. And it turned white in one day? Strange.

Your baby should have water all the time. Get a terra cotta saucer for plant pots. It should be big enough for him to climb in. Push the saucer down into the substrate until the lip of the saucer is even with the substrate.

With their gently sloping sides and straight in access, they are easy for babies to use.

Oh thank you! We've caught him stuck on his back a few times so we were super worried about it. I will look into that! I'm not sure why it turned white.. yes one day. The day before yesterday it wasn't like that and now it is.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
My tortoise Kiwi kind of has the same thing. I've heard it is the skin shedding because it has been bumped or something and Kiwi likes to crawl under rocks so that might be it? Also, the imbedded terra cotta saucer is a great idea. I'm no expert here, but it just looks like Kiwi's but a lot bigger. One other thing, weirdly enough I saw another thread just like this today: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-leopard-nose-turning-white.188005/

Rukahh

Arizona
My tortoise Kiwi kind of has the same thing. I've heard it is the skin shedding because it has been bumped or something and Kiwi likes to crawl under rocks so that might be it? Also, the imbedded terra cotta saucer is a great idea. I'm no expert here, but it just looks like Kiwi's but a lot bigger. One other thing, weirdly enough I saw another thread just like this today: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/baby-leopard-nose-turning-white.188005/
So funny. Thats actually my husband. I was just talking to him about it and he said he posted too, then I saw your comment. We are clearly worried ? we've both been at work all day so neither of us knew!

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
That's hilarious! It's also great that you both love the tort. Anyways, good luck and I don't think it's anything too serious.

Rukahh

Arizona
That's hilarious! It's also great that you both love the tort. Anyways, good luck and I don't think it's anything too serious.
Thank you I appreciate that! We will keep a good eye on it. About how long did it take your Kiwi to heal?