Help identifying tortoise

d3c

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Hello, my son was recently gifted a tortoise that his uncle found in the side of the road. We were told by a helpful Petco employee that its a Greek tortoise. Figured I'd try here for confirmation. Any assistance would be helpful. IMG_20200519_224210.jpgIMG_20200519_224229.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, my son was recently gifted a tortoise that his uncle found in the side of the road. We were told by a helpful Petco employee that its a Greek tortoise. Figured I'd try here for confirmation. Any assistance would be helpful. View attachment 294995View attachment 294996

You definitely do not have a Greek Tortoise. It is a Forsten's Tortoise (Indotestudo forsteni) going by the shape of the nuchal scute. That more trapezoidal shaped nuchal scute is not correct for the Elongated Tortoise, Indotestudo elongata, which has a very long and narrow nuchal scute. You tortoise could also be an intergrade between I. forsteni and I. elongata.

Was it found anywhere near Mark and Kim Bell's place (Reptile Industries) in Naples, FL? Mark has or had breeding colonies of all three Indotestudo species for many years. If so, it may be one which escaped from one of his colonies or hatched from the ground and walked away.

Of course, there are other people in FL who also breed the same species, so it could have escaped from any number of places.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise has what looks to be a pretty good case of fungus on it's underside. He needs to be kept dry for a while and administer a coating of anti-fungal cream daily to a clean shell.

d3c

Miami
The tortoise has what looks to be a pretty good case of fungus on it's underside. He needs to be kept dry for a while and administer a coating of anti-fungal cream daily to a clean shell.

Hi, I was wondering what that may be. Thank you for letting me know. Can I use any anti-fungal? or does it have to be specific?

sorciere

10 Year Member!
Vietnam
It is suggested that athlete’s foot cream with clotrimazole would work well.
DA0BEA7F-A545-41AF-9B32-D6C40843CA78.png

It would take time and patience to heal that plastron.