Help identifying tortoise species and gender!!

Juliaboris

5 Year Member
Hello all!
I recently got a tortoise as a gift and I would like some help in identifying what type of tortoise it is and it's gender.
I love my tortoise, Boris(the name until we find out what gender it is), so much and I just want it to be healthy.

IMG_6158.JPG IMG_6159.JPG IMG_6160.JPG IMG_6161.JPG IMG_6162.JPG IMG_6165.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

Boris looks like a Sulcata to me and is far too small to sex yet. Boris needs to grow a lot and will look female as all young tortoises do. Male traits only show as a tortoise nears maturity.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
What JoesMum said. Boris is a Sulcata, but you wont have a clue to gender for a while. I don't know when Sully's start to flash, but it's usually years.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sulcatas are sometimes called African Spurred tortoises.

Boris has a lot of growing to do. Full size he/she will reach 100lb plus and Sulcatas are the bulldozers of the tortoise world; they have bags of personality, but a bad habit of walking through things rather than round them.

You will have a sizeable tortoise, not full size, on your hands in 5 or so years time probably.

You should read the following to understand the care your tortoise needs. Please ask as many questions as you need to. We are always happy to look over photos of enclosures and lighting to help owners get them right.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a Healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Not to be the opposite opinion here, but it is irresponsible to receive a Tortoise as a gift without any understanding as to what husbandry requirements are needed. You received a tortoise that could be 250lb. when full grown. Obviously you had no idea that that was the case since you didn't even know what species of tortoise you received. This is not a hobby to just wing it and discard it when it no longer becomes a manageable situation. If you have the space for the future, kudos to you, if not, you need to seriously consider returning the animal for one that is more size manageable.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! I agree it was irresponsible for someone to give you an animal that will grow into a 100+ pound bulldozer without you agreeing to take on the responsibility. As a baby, he will need the correct environment and food in order to stay healthy. When your baby gets bigger, he will need a large outdoor space to roam and a heated house. I see grass in your pictures so I assume you are in a place with a milder climate, which makes it easier to keep a sulcata. Charlie showed his manhood when he was around 5 years old.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I am newbie, but why no one doubt this cute little one is a hybrid?
He/she doesn't looks 100% sulcata to me.
To me, he/she is a bit redfoot, a bit gopher, a bit sulcata. Hmmm...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am newbie, but why no one doubt this cute little one is a hybrid?
He/she doesn't looks 100% sulcata to me.
To me, he/she is a bit redfoot, a bit gopher, a bit sulcata. Hmmm...

I wondered too, Fredkas, that's why I didn't respond. Because the front leg spurs are not big like on a sulcata and it's very round. Nick might be onto something with his Chaco thought.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
And the plastron, I never see a sulcata has black mark like that. Again, i am newbie with a very limited knowledge. Gopher has nuchal scute. I think nick maybe right.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
His back feet don't look sulcata either. I love a good mistery.