HELP - identifying species

SamG789

image.jpgHi I'm new to this as i just recently was given a tortoise, however I dont know the species or sex. It would be much appreciated if anyone could help me with this as i would like to be able to provide the appropriate care :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Looks Russian to me but I mostly keep reds and yellows so I'm probably wrong. :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's a very young Russian (Testudo horsfieldii) tortoise. Looks to be captive bred and not wild caught. Be sure to keep the baby warm enough, as if they get too cold they get a bubbly nose and stop eating.

You'll have to wait until it grows a bit bigger to tell the gender.

(Welcome to the Forum!!)

SamG789

FLINTUS said:
Definitely. Looks to have MBD as well.

You've worried me now, how serious is this and is there anything I can do to make it better? I only got him on xmas day so the shop we got him from can't be very good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I click on the picture it opens up stretched sideways, so I don't get a good actual look at the tortoise. But my perception is that it is a very young Russian tortoise that needs more humidity in his habitat. I doubt we're looking at metabolic bone disease just yet, merely a bit a pyramiding due to dry conditions. To help alleviate the pyramiding, you also need to get him on a good diet with a calcium/mineral supplement and allow him to have plenty of exercise. And a good UVB light source goes without saying.

In my opinion, the Mediterranean species need all those things in order to grow smoothly - moisture, diet, exercise and UVB/calcium.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
One of the major problems with this species is being overfed and not having enough exercise-which it may be rather than MBD-(think of the consequences of being overweight as your skeleton develops in humans, lots of stress upon the muscles and in tortoises the keratin will not form correctly). Overfeeding however can contribute to MBD as the bad affects are 'enlarged' to a certain degree due to rapid growth. Generally it won't actually be the shops that have caused this, it was probably farm raised in east Europe where they have to get rapid growth to then be able to sell them onto the trade as quickly as possible, it's a process of selling in volume.
As Yvonne said, it is still young so the affects are not as bad. As long as you follow good care now, it shouldn't have big long term affects. Make sure it has deep soil to dig down into and make sure you get correct temps would be the only things I would say as the fundamental care parts that Yvonne hasn't already mentioned.

SamG789

Ok thanks! I'm currently feeding him once a day hope this is alright as I've seen lots of different opinions on this. Also can anyone recommend a good supplement? Theres so many and i dont want to give him something that wont actually benefit him.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like the TNT available from Carolina Tortoise Supply. It's a natural product made from actual plant parts dried and ground into a powder.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
HI SamG789! Welcome to the forum with your new little Russian.

Expert-experts have already identified. I am so glad you are looking for info to make sure your little girl or guy gets the best care. Looks like there may have been an unknowing keeper prior to you. That's okay. Tortoises are tough (after that hatchling stage) and your baby can thrive from this point forward. Yay!

Supplement wise, I use Repashy, Mazuri and Grassland BUT please do remember that the very best medicine is food and a variety of foods is best. Variety for vitality! Greens in all kinds of shades, I like to say a rainbow or two a day. Now, here is a link I like. Although it is mostly foods for leopard tortoises, I like the pictures, and some are also for little Russians, so it gives you an idea of possible diversity. To inspire you! : ) http://www.pinterest.com/pietersmith/leopard-tortoise-edible-plants/