Help identifying my new friend

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You have a Russian tortoise. Here is the care info:

Unlike your leopard gecko, this guy will need two very large enclosures. One indoors and one outside. They are also amazing escape artists and have an uncanny ability to climb like a lizard even with that shell on their back. Frankly, I'm still not convinced that the whole species can't levitate when humans aren't looking. Minimum size indoors should be 4x8 feet and outside you should go even bigger.

Also be aware that most of the info you find at the pet store and on line will be wrong. They will sell you the wrong enclosure, the wrong bulbs, the wrong bowls and the wrong food, etc... This being the case, we are all glad you are here! :)

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

A very handsome Russian tortoise. We can tell you which sex if you can give us a good shot of the tail.

The two care sheets already linked will get you off to a very good start. Come back once you’ve had a chance to digest everything and have more questions.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It looks male to me. the tale is fat and big. But I could be wrong! I never rise a Russian tortoise before.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
WHat no Pooh photos. TFO loves to talk about pooh! Welcome from a fellow grumpy Russian owner- I strive to be the bestest human care/food giver! THis is the first soak after unboxing! From @Carol S IMG_0964 (1).JPG

Quadro

SC
Hello and welcome. You have a Russian tortoise. Here is the care info:

Unlike your leopard gecko, this guy will need two very large enclosures. One indoors and one outside. They are also amazing escape artists and have an uncanny ability to climb like a lizard even with that shell on their back. Frankly, I'm still not convinced that the whole species can't levitate when humans aren't looking. Minimum size indoors should be 4x8 feet and outside you should go even bigger.

Also be aware that most of the info you find at the pet store and on line will be wrong. They will sell you the wrong enclosure, the wrong bulbs, the wrong bowls and the wrong food, etc... This being the case, we are all glad you are here! :)
Unless your me ? I printed the info off of here and took it to the pet store I work at to give out to anyone that comes in asking questions I’ll try and make up for all the non member tortoise owners and point them in this direction!?

Reactions: Tom