Help Identifying a weed

Shuler24

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Looking to see if anybody can identify this weed. They are in Sheldon’s outdoor enclosure, and I’ve been picking them, because he is obsessed with eating them. If I knew what they were maybe I wouldn’t care, but they keep coming back like....well weeds...any thoughts?

Attachments

• C4A7218E-C549-4CCF-9FDD-4029C59FFC1D.jpeg
    C4A7218E-C549-4CCF-9FDD-4029C59FFC1D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks like spurge

Euphorbia maculata, variously called spotted spurge or prostrate spurge, the latter name not to be confused with Euphorbia prostrata, is a fast-growing annual plant in the family Euphorbiaceae, native to North America. It is a common garden and lawn weed in the United States.

Euphorbia maculata

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
Clade: Angiosperms
Clade: Eudicots
Clade: Rosids
Order: Malpighiales
Family: Euphorbiaceae
Genus: Euphorbia
Species:
E. maculata
Binomial name
Euphorbia maculata

L.
Synonyms
Chamaesyce maculata (L.) Small

Prostrate spurge invading disturbed soil
It grows in sunny locations and a variety of soils, and functions as a pioneer species in ecological succession. The sap of this plant is a mild skin irritant and can cause a rash in some people. The sap is poisonous and considered carcinogenic.[1][2]

From Tortoise Table

• Common Name: Euphorbia (Spurge) - Wild Flower
  • Latin Name: Euphorbia spp.
  • Family Name: Euphorbiaceae
Euphorbias contain a TOXIN that is known to be carcinogenic. The milky sap can cause inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. The chemical resinferatoxin has an irritating effect which is stronger than capsaicin, the substance that makes chillies hot. So never feed to tortoises and wear protective clothing when handling this plant.

Examples of some common weed Euphorbias are:

Sun Spurge (Euphorbia helioscopia)
Petty Spurge (Euphorbia peplus)
Leafy Spurge (Euphorbia esula)
Dwarf Spurge (Euphorbia exigua)

Usually spurge has a yellowish-green flower but it can be found in other colours.

Shuler24

Michigan
Wow, that’s scary, glad I asked, we will keep pulling them, they are hard to kill. Hopefully the times I’ve caught Sheldon, it didn’t harm him. Thanks for the Quick response!

Shuler24

Michigan
Wow, my Russian could care less about spurge; interesting Sheldon does.
Yeah, we planted the seed mix from the Tortoise Table, and he stomps over those when he sees spurge. I think he knows he will get in trouble, it’s like he hides it, lol. They are smart for sure.

Shuler24

Michigan
Yeah, we planted the seed mix from the Tortoise Table, and he stomps over those when he sees spurge. I think he knows he will get in trouble, it’s like he hides it, lol. They are smart for sure.
Sorry meant the seed mix from TortoiseSupply. Need to give them proper kudos, because I love their products.