Help identifying a rescue tortoise?

RoseyBreeze

Hello,

New to the forum, need a little help with a tortoise that came out of not so great living situations. My family just recently acquired her, and have really no idea where to start with her. I really need to identify her as to be able to do more research. She has been living in a glass aquarium, extremely long claws, and not the healthiest of diets. My first step was getting her to the vet, the next is trying to get an idea of what breed she it. If someone could help, that would be great. My family is generally not as read up on about turtles, with me having more experience with reptiles, but we are up to taking whatever steps we need to take. The plan is to hit up the pet store first thing in the morning once we can figure out her breed, and needs.

Also, what would be the best course of work on getting all this junk off of her shell?

Thank You!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 56

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Omgoodness I'm not sure. But Thank You For Rescuing him/her. Thank you so much. Yes claws appear very long. Someone more experienced will be along soon to answer all your questions. Good Luck

The mouth doesn't look right to me unless its the angle the pic was taken. Hopefully someone will be along soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi rosey:

That's a three-toed box turtle with too long claws and an over grown beak. (terrapene carolina triunguis)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about the decorations. Just let it wear off naturally. The most important thing is to set up a safe and secure outdoor habitat for the turtle. Here's a link to a pretty good care sheet:
http://aboxturtle.com/

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Look what human can do.

Just Terrible ....

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, a lovely three toed box turtle. So sad!!! I am grateful he is in good hands now! Thank you for helping this little one. :)

RoseyBreeze

Just an update. The vet gave her a clean bill of health, and took care of those pesky nails, and her beak. She is still a little shy, but is eating and drinking just fine. Looks like a pet store shopping spree is in order.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Do your research before you hit the pet store. Otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need, and still lack the stuff you do need.

Can you make an escape proof outdoor pen? At least for the daytime? It makes so much difference to them!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
So glad this one found you! Feeding on a pc of slate or terra cotta plant saucer works good to keep beak trimmed. Plant saucers also make perfect water bowls so do not buy an expensive unsafe plastic one from pet store :)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Yes, Three toed box turtle. If you can get her outside that will help keep the claws down, they do love to dig. If you can't get her outside, the largest tote filled with 6 inches of clean soil (Not garden, not potting, NOT MIRACLE GROW). I made up a mixture of sphagnum moss, 100% organic soil and play sand and it worked perfectly but weighed a ton. Honestly I don't remember the ratios, but I did read about it online. If you need advice PM me, otherwise good luck.