yongsaurus

Location (City and/or State)
Doha
hello can some one please help confirm my tortoise identity? like their age, species and sex ? i’ve never had tortoises so i really dont have any clue other than its a tortoise n not a turtle. a friend hand them to me after they found this little buddy in their garage :<

C3420087-4C55-453F-A3C2-A28CCF2E1DE9.jpeg 5474A05B-9192-47B3-8737-A984A023EC76.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For sure it's a female, but I'm not real sure of the species. Maybe a Greek. @HermanniChris can tell us for sure.

yongsaurus

Doha
For sure it's a female, but I'm not real sure of the species. Maybe a Greek. @HermanniChris can tell us for sure.
oh god if she’s a female, im worried about if she has to mate and lay eggs? i dont think i can find a mate for her :eek: this opens up some few concerns for me in the future.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello can some one please help confirm my tortoise identity? like their age, species and sex ? i’ve never had tortoises so i really dont have any clue other than its a tortoise n not a turtle. a friend hand them to me after they found this little buddy in their garage :<

View attachment 284498 View attachment 284499
Does look like a female and she has possibly already laid eggs. I have heard that females can retain sperm for long periods of time, so you never know, perhaps eggs could still be in your future. Please don't fret about that, as it is pure speculation. Best of luck to you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
really? is that okay? if so, then im relieved. im just catious since this is my first time ever caring for a tort :< thank you for the info!
Tortoises are best kept alone.
Itll have a less stressful life all by herself.

yongsaurus

Doha
Does look like a female and she has possibly already laid eggs. I have heard that females can retain sperm for long periods of time, so you never know, perhaps eggs could still be in your future. Please don't fret about that, as it is pure speculation. Best of luck to you.
woah. how can you tell if she’ve already laid eggs? does that mean she’s already an adult tortoise ?

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
woah. how can you tell if she’ve already laid eggs? does that mean she’s already an adult tortoise ?
I am by no means any expert with Greeks, but she looks like a more mature female than a juvenile to me, the speculator. I raise Leopard Torts and I have observed the female cloacal opening change from a small "star" appearance to a longer "slit" opening like your tortoise, once they have laid eggs. Perhaps Greek females always look like this. This is probably by no means definitive, but just an observation on my part. She is beautiful and will live a very long life with you, eggs or no eggs.