Help Identify my tortoise please + advice ASAP

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hello,
I found a tortoise in my building's basement today without a owner. Could someone identify the tortoise for me? Also, I'm not sure how to care for it nor what to feed it. I'm not an experienced pet owner nor do I have the equipment to take care of it. I will probably give it to a person that could take care of the turtle but i need to care for it for now. Atm I'm feeding it lettuce but I'm going to get some dandelions and roses for it to eat. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG-20151009-WA00001.jpg IMG-20151009-WA00011.jpg IMG-20151009-WA0003.jpg IMG-20151009-WA00051.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I can't ID it because I am a novice, but he is very cute. Have you asked the neighbors if they may be missing him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let's send a shout-out to @HermanniChris . He's very good at i.d.ing these tortoises for us.

(Egyptian? Greek?)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's a very beautiful tortoise, looks like a Golden Greek to me.
Somebody is quite possibly missing a valued pet, so the idea of asking around the area and even posting fliers is a good one.
Craigslist, local vets and animal rescue centres are also good places to go to see if someone has reported a missing tortoise.
In the mean time http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
should be of help.

Dosu

Kuwait
I can't ID it because I am a novice, but he is very cute. Have you asked the neighbors if they may be missing him?
It's a very beautiful tortoise, looks like a Golden Greek to me.
Somebody is quite possibly missing a valued pet, so the idea of asking around the area and even posting fliers is a good one.
Craigslist, local vets and animal rescue centres are also good places to go to see if someone has reported a missing tortoise.
In the mean time http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
should be of help.
Let's send a shout-out to @HermanniChris . He's very good at i.d.ing these tortoises for us.

(Egyptian? Greek?)

Yeah I did ask around. It was in the basement of the building which is very unusual. No one from my building responded yet.

See the problem I have is temperature and habitat and maybe food. I'm not sure if I should keep him outside on my balcony as it's very humid and can get up to 40 degrees celcius. I'm also afraid that indoors is too cool for him as it's 22 degrees celcius. Secondly, I can't have him roaming around the house, without my presense moreover he's been staying in a large plastic box and I'm not sure if it's suitable for him.

I sent a mail yesterday to tortoisetrust.org and they responded and said it was a Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise, Testudo graeca graeca. They also provided examples with food and habitat so I'm going to go get some stuff for it to eat. If you guys have any more advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

jorg

5 Year Member
I think it's a graeca nabeulensis

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah I did ask around. It was in the basement of the building which is very unusual. No one from my building responded yet.

See the problem I have is temperature and habitat and maybe food. I'm not sure if I should keep him outside on my balcony as it's very humid and can get up to 40 degrees celcius. I'm also afraid that indoors is too cool for him as it's 22 degrees celcius. Secondly, I can't have him roaming around the house, without my presense moreover he's been staying in a large plastic box and I'm not sure if it's suitable for him.

I sent a mail yesterday to tortoisetrust.org and they responded and said it was a Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise, Testudo graeca graeca. They also provided examples with food and habitat so I'm going to go get some stuff for it to eat. If you guys have any more advice I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

They are a good starting point and sounds like you have some direction :D Good looking tort by the way...

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's a T. g. graeca probably from the Souss valley. Possibly T. g. soussensis which is basically T. g. graeca. The Tortoise Trust knows their stuff, no doubt about it.

Beautiful animal.

Dosu

Kuwait
It's a T. g. graeca probably from the Souss valley. Possibly T. g. soussensis which is basically T. g. graeca. The Tortoise Trust knows their stuff, no doubt about it.

Beautiful animal.

Thanks for the identification! Do you know if the turtle will continue growing or is it already an adult?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It will continue growing. Do you know if this tortoise was collected from the wild or bought at a shop or store? Reason I ask is because although this animal does looks like a T. g. graeca, it very well may be T. g. terrestris based on your location. These specific subspecies of Greek tortoise are extremely similar and luckily care is just about the same.