Help ID Tortoise Found in Abu Dhabi Dumpster

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangerami

5 Year Member
Hi I currently live in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. Yesterday I found a small tortoise in the dumpster. He obviously could not have got in by himself so someone must have put him there. As that is not at all surprising here...don't get me started...it means that he/she could be anything from something very common, something found and collected in the desert or something unusual purchased and imported for significant $$$ but still found to be less interesting after a few weeks or months and pitched.

I would like to know what I have so that I can care for him properly AND to find out if I will be able to bring him back to the States in June. I had a preliminary ID of an African Spur/Sulcata Tortoise and am hoping that is not correct as I understand they can not be imported into the US and it would mean he/she will have to find another home.

Any help and guidance would be very appreciated. I am a complete novice concerning tortoises and and reptiles having only had warm blooded pets (not including goldfish).

Here are a few photos of him and what I have put together for him so far.

Attachments

• face.JPG
    face.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 158
  • stomachweb.jpg
    stomachweb.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 96
  • tailweb.jpg
    tailweb.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 96
  • topweb.jpg
    topweb.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 112
  • setupweb.jpg
    setupweb.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 99

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello welcome:) looks like a Sulcata to me.Look under sulcata tortoises there is a post on how to how to raise sulcata hatchlings and babies. read that you should be all set

sangerami

5 Year Member
Thanks...really hoping he was NOT a Sulcata as I would like to keep him but I understand he can't be imported into the US

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) It is a Sulcata, Centrochelys sulcata.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like your new little sulcata might benefit from sitting in a little water for a half hour or so.

It never ceases to amaze me the cruelty or ignorance of people. Imagine tossing a little baby like that away in a dumpster! How lucky for the baby that you found him. I'm so sorry that you won't be able to bring him to the states with you. But, be sure to exhaust all avenues in your research. You may just find someone who will allow it.

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO :D Nice job on the save :D I can't believe someone did that and amazingly enough that you found the poor little guy! I hope it all works out for you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another question just came to me: Exactly WHAT were YOU doing in the dumpster??? :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he looks cold and dry..
start reading.. he is lukcy you found him.. makes me wonder how many are Not found..
How did you know to look?
we have thousands here in the pet trade.. why cant they be brought in? Bugs?
Any special arrangements?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
he looks cold and dry..
start reading.. he is lukcy you found him.. makes me wonder how many are Not found..
How did you know to look?
we have thousands here in the pet trade.. why cant they be brought in? Bugs?
Any special arrangements?

Allegedly, one tick was found on one import a long time ago. This tick is apparently capable of carrying a disease that could be detrimental to the beef industry. BOOM! Game over. No more imports, forever. No leopards either.

sangerami

5 Year Member
Thanks all...took the pictures when I first found him. Since then he has had a nice soak in warm water. I soaked his potting soil substrate with warm water so that it was not bone dry and had some humidity in it and put the back third of the sweater tub (long one that rolls under beds) on top of a heating pad and put a board over that third to keep the heat in and give him a dark cave hide to feel safe in. So far he has picked a favorite corner to burrow down in, but has come out to gorge on cucumbers and head back. I will go out tomorrow and see if I can find some leafy greens (grass is a premium here).

Fortunately for him, I found him because I was looking in dumpsters for my cat who most uncharacteristically had not come home the night before OR for breakfast which he NEVER missed. Unfortunately I did find my cat later in the day...the victim of a dog attack which I suspect not to have been an accident as there are almost NO stray dogs here but hunting with Salukis is traditional sport.

This is part of the reason why I have been really hoping to be able to keep him. Kind of a Karma thing...

Anyway, thanks for the help. I will pursue with FWS and my vet and keep working to make him happy and healthy. I'm sure I'll be checking back soon.

Melissa

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Sorry about your cat :( ...Sulcattas have amazing personalitys..he wont fill the paws of your cat but he will warm your heart!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Melissa...I'm so sorry about your cat.

turtlegirl1234

5 Year Member
Why is it that people think that it is ok to "throw" away animals and babies? There are some terrible people out there. I am a novice as well but I do have a Sulcata and I have to tell you that yours looks like mine. Are you sure that you will not be able to bring the tortoise to the states with you? I thought at one time Sulcatas were banned from the US but I thought that ban was lifted. Let me know what you find out. I am going to a reptile show next weekend and will ask around then get back to you with what I find out.

Good Luck

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh, I am very very sorry to hear about your cat :( Saluki sighthounds are one of the prettiest dogs, I think, but for someone to deliberately set one onto someone's pet is just horrid.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Im sorry to hear about your cat.
Its really sad when you loose a pet... I know how it feels
on the other point, luky you, and that little sulcata that you found...
If you are planning on going back to Us... Im not quite sure how it would work (If you are able or not to bring it) , but as far as I know... they are not illegal in the US...
many people in the forum have sulcatas...
They grow up big, you will have to have enough space for her/him, in your yard!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
wow. sorry about your cat..
that is why I keep mine inside. WE have wild animals here and the neighbors think its ok to let thier dogs run free sometimes..
What kind of Animal Control or Humane Societys do you have there? Any laws to protect the animals?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I want too see a head shot! He looks shy now, but when he comes out of his shell post us a face photo. :D

Best of luck on the care and transportation of your pet...or a good home for the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.