Help! I think my tortoise had a heat stroke!

AndrewTersagne

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Florida
I was letting my tortoise outside in his outdoor enclosure and it was about 95 degrees outside. I came outside to find him scratching vigorously at the side of his enclosure with foam all around his mouth. I gave him a long soak and he is acting normal now. Is he going to be ok? I did some research and google said that heat strokes can cause permanent organ and brain damage. Does this apply to tortoises? Do you think he has brain damage or any permanent damage? I am sorry about all the questions but I am just really worried that he has permanent damage now. He is a Russian tortoise.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Yes your tortoise has a Heat stroke.
When I first had my tortoise and didn’t have the knowledge I have now one of my tortoises overheated. And had foam on its mouth, I did the following and soaked it. Til now I see no concerns that might indicate a ill Tortoise. So from experience I can say No.
You might need to factor how long the tortoise was there. That might have a Different answer.

Don’t Ever let your Tortoise outside unsupervised, Especially in the Florida Weather.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I’d keep a close eye on him, definitely sounds like heatstroke. I’d give him another extra soak today and tomorrow. And watch the temperature his exposed to closely. It’s good you found him in time.

AndrewTersagne

Spring Hill, Florida
Yes your tortoise has a Heat stroke.
When I first had my tortoise and didn’t have the knowledge I have now one of my tortoises overheated. And had foam on its mouth, I did the following and soaked it. Til now I see no concerns that might indicate a ill Tortoise. So from experience I can say No.
You might need to factor how long the tortoise was there. That might have a Different answer.

Don’t Ever let your Tortoise outside unsupervised, Especially in the Florida Weather.
He was outside for an hour maybe two. It was in the mourning though and only got hot in the second hour. I am going to soak him everyday. So you do not think he will have permanent damage?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
He was outside for an hour maybe two. It was in the mourning though and only got hot in the second hour. I am going to soak him everyday. So you do not think he will have permanent damage?
I’m guessing depending how much time he was there for (time being Overheated) so I cannot be certain if it will not affect the tortoises Health,Just keep an eye out.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Did the tortoise have shade available? And water?

The other possibility is that he ate something toxic. Just make sure you can identify every plant in his enclosure.

Hopefully he'll be OK in either case.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hot Florida sun baking a little hard tortoise’s shell for two hours with no shade. Definitely conditions for over heating. We’re a few miles north here in Maryland, the other day our wooden deck was registering 150 degrees with my IR temp gauge. id soak that little tort a few times a day now for awhile. Keep out of direct sun. Torts soak in the suns beneficial effects when they are “outside” - they don’t necessarily have to be in direct sunshine.

Good luck for u n your tort.

ps - what kind of tort, how old?

AndrewTersagne

Spring Hill, Florida
Hot Florida sun baking a little hard tortoise’s shell for two hours with no shade. Definitely conditions for over heating. We’re a few miles north here in Maryland, the other day our wooden deck was registering 150 degrees with my IR temp gauge. id soak that little tort a few times a day now for awhile. Keep out of direct sun. Torts soak in the suns beneficial effects when they are “outside” - they don’t necessarily have to be in direct sunshine.

Good luck for u n your tort.

ps - what kind of tort, how old?
He is a Russian tortoise. About 5 years old. He is wild-caught so there is no telling. Might be much older.

AndrewTersagne

Spring Hill, Florida
He is feeling much better now. Is there anyway to know if he will have permanent complications. I would feel so terrible if he has problems that can never be fixed.