Help!! I think coco is sick! ???

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Folks this one in dollar tree! I like better!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Does anybody put anything on tortoise head for shedding other than water?
I been soaking him everyday with warm water and I take a Q-tip and wet his shell rings and head!
Are you thinking that they shed in one big piece? They don't. You do not have to worry about it too much, it will come off in flakes now and then.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just stick to this forum for your information becase there is a lot of old, outdated and unsafe information still about on the internet, whereas there are keepers here who have are willing to share their experiences with us just for the love of torts and to make sure their care is the best it can be to keep them happy and heathy.
Have a look at the Enclosures thread for ideas for a new home for Coco.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Folks this one in dollar tree! I like better!
Don't go for anything too big for his hide because it will take up valuable space in his enclosure, also the clear/transparent ones will let light through and maybe disturb his sleep so look for something that will be nice and dark for him.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Don't go for anything too big for his hide because it will take up valuable space in his enclosure, also the clear/transparent ones will let light through and maybe disturb his sleep so look for something that will be nice and dark for him.
I been looking since last week! All I found were these!! I might just need to darken the one I have!!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
View attachment 315580
Its the blue thing in the corner as a visual reference
So it doesn’t need to be black huh? Interesting! I’m over here stressing about what to do with his hide! Knowing it doesn’t necessarily need to be black for it work really changes things! Lol

now I’m stuck with something I can’t return at dollar tree..just perfect ?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
The tank will work for awhile so use it as long as its free. The tote box Tom suggested that you got works only if the bigger ones, a lot bigger ones.
If you can take him outside a fee times a week for uvb then you don't need a uvb bulb but it cant be cold out. Dt normally hibernate in the winter. Use che's for night time heat and incandescent bulbs or spot light reptile bulbs for day time heat. Any plastic box can work for a hide. If its clear just cover it with duct tape or something similar to make it dark inside. Coconut coir if fine. Just pat it down tightly. Someone posted a link to a caresheets, be sure to check it out.
Out of curiosity..what is safe to use at night for him to keep warm?

I have considered getting a UVB eventually especially for summer! Just for days I can’t take him outside for any reason!
I considered getting a heat mat from Petsmart! Is this a good idea?
@Tom

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
A cheap dishpan would work fine. If you need something smaller just get an opaque plastic salad bowl or something until it grows a bit.
Hmm..what I’m having most trouble with is making him a whole!
im currently waiting on funds! Im
Trying not to buy much more..but making doors for his hide is where I’m finding the challenge!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Trying not to buy much more..but making doors for his hide is where I’m finding the challenge!!
It's amazing how hard it is to cut into plastic, cheap or otherwise. Is Coco eating ok?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
It's amazing how hard it is to cut into plastic, cheap or otherwise. Is Coco eating ok?
Yes he is! He’s leaving a little food each day!!
At first I was giving him a lot more than usual...but now I alternate with his food! I’m yet to get him other things at sprouts for him! For now he’ll have what I got him and then next month I’ll buy him new things to try! Hopefully I’ll be able to put seeds and other stuff in the budget for him! I’m actually even planning on getting him his own little garden at home too!! “Working progress” don’t wanna do to much all at once!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Yes he is! He’s leaving a little food each day!!
At first I was giving him a lot more than usual...but now I alternate with his food! I’m yet to get him other things at sprouts for him! For now he’ll have what I got him and then next month I’ll buy him new things to try! Hopefully I’ll be able to put seeds and other stuff in the budget for him! I’m actually even planning on getting him his own little garden at home too!! “Working progress” don’t wanna do to much all at once!
He’s ok now...I was answering posts that I forgot to respond too or I didn’t realize I had responses lol!!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

You can get a coping saw very cheap that would work to make a door. Alternatively some tin snips or an otherwise very strong scissors. A dremel tool would work as would a razor knife. Just remember when using force with any blade to keep the edge pointed away from any fleshy material.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A cheap dishpan would work fine. If you need something smaller just get an opaque plastic salad bowl or something until it grows a bit.
I have found that a terra cotta plant pot, broken in half works so good and small turtles love it. Here is where Grumpyface sleeps, he always sleeps in that pot, and all I did was pick up a broken pot, and put it in his tank. He goes in on his own. And because of the material used, it seems to hold humidity much better than plastic.
Grumpy's hide
100_6369.JPG
broken so it 'fits' better
100_6371.JPG
Grumpyface is 3 months old now and 28 grams
100_6370.JPG