Help!! I think coco is sick! ???

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I up this morning with his eyes swelling!
Idk if the substrate is good for him before he tried digging but I don’t think he likes it too much!! The humidity is to high! It’s at double the number!
I really don’t think I was advised correctly on this...cause!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!
I’m seconds from drying his substrate a bit!!
His enclosure isn’t getting warm enough either so I’ll need to probably get a higher Walt for his bulb!
Also I have calcium with D3 already! Isn’t that the same as a miner all?
Is there a vet I can talk to on here??

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I up this morning with his eyes swelling!
Idk if the substrate is good for him before he tried digging but I don’t think he likes it too much!! The humidity is to high! It’s at double the number!
I really don’t think I was advised correctly on this...cause!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!
I’m seconds from drying his substrate a bit!!
His enclosure isn’t getting warm enough either so I’ll need to probably get a higher Walt for his bulb!
Also I have calcium with D3 already! Isn’t that the same as a miner all?
Is there a vet I can talk to on here??

If you mean 'advised correctly' about using coco coir then yes, that is a very good substrate. if you dont pack it down though it is really messy at first and it can get in and around a torts eyes just like anything else and may cause some irritation. It could very well be something else however. It is best to post pics with these things. If you want a substrate that is less 'messy', orchid bark is a good option.

Some calcium and D3 supplements also have other minerals in them, some do not. If it doesnt have the additional minerals and vitamins then you need an additional supplement.

The increase in humidity will make it more difficult to heat the enclosure, this is because of the laws of physics and is just something you have to deal with, you will need to add more heat.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
If you mean 'advised correctly' about using coco coir then yes, that is a very good substrate. if you dont pack it down though it is really messy at first and it can get in and around a torts eyes just like anything else and may cause some irritation. It could very well be something else however. It is best to post pics with these things.
I’m out correctly trying to find him something for him!! I’m sick to my stomach!!
I’m be home in a little bit!! I soaked him in water again today! I wonder if cuttle bone will help him right now??
The one I ordered online still hadn’t gotten here! Gave him a little food with calcium D3!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I’m out correctly trying to find him something for him!! I’m sick to my stomach!!
I’m be home in a little bit!! I soaked him in water again today! I wonder if cuttle bone will help him right now??
The one I ordered online still hadn’t gotten here! Gave him a little food with calcium D3!

Calm down, you cant snap your fingers and solve this by adding some calcium. If he has a swollen eye, give a day or two and see if it goes away. It happens sometimes. If it doesnt go, or gets worse, or the torts behaviour changes significantly then you might have a problem.

Your tort needs time to adapt to its new substrate.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
If you mean 'advised correctly' about using coco coir then yes, that is a very good substrate. if you dont pack it down though it is really messy at first and it can get in and around a torts eyes just like anything else and may cause some irritation. It could very well be something else however. It is best to post pics with these things. If you want a substrate that is less 'messy', orchid bark is a good option.

Some calcium and D3 supplements also have other minerals in them, some do not. If it doesnt have the additional minerals and vitamins then you need an additional supplement.

The increase in humidity will make it more difficult to heat the enclosure, this is because of the laws of physics and is just something you have to deal with, you will need to add more heat.
Should I buy a higher Walt bulb?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I keep 2 different wattages at my house and depending on the time of year I have to switch them out.
The light fixture you are using also doesn't help direct that heat down like a ceramic dome fixture does. I had a small one early on and now that I have a larger one the same watt bulb is still warmer under it because it better directs the heat. That is a 10 inch lamp btw
20210117_163807.jpg20210117_163802.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pictures of enclosure and lighting/heat and tortoise. I and others will not be familiar with the type of tortoise you have.
Wet/high humidity needs warm temps. Cold and wet will make a sick tort. If you have a sulcata then it can't be too wet but it can be too cold.
If you have a Coil bulb that will make eyes swell, turn it off and get rid of it.
Calcium is only needed in small amounts. A tiny pinch 2-3 times a week. Too much is as bad as too little.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Post pictures of enclosure and lighting/heat and tortoise. I and others will not be familiar with the type of tortoise you have.
Wet/high humidity needs warm temps. Cold and wet will make a sick tort. If you have a sulcata then it can't be too wet but it can be too cold.
If you have a Coil bulb that will make eyes swell, turn it off and get rid of it.
Calcium is only needed in small amounts. A tiny pinch 2-3 times a week. Too much is as bad as too little.
She has a small DT, I found the thread as a reference since she said she wasn't home yet ?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I found this at the local Petsmart!
I think it she’ll work for now! I also found him this rcck! It’s higher up to what he has now!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Ok, so I bought it light recommended by Tom only “well similar”

I’m on my way home now!
I honestly think he needs a better light! Though!! The substrate is two wet! I’m gonna take outside for bit!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He doesnt need a rock. He needs a bigger enclosure if not already given. Needs the proper light/heat sources so he isn't cold. He needs a proper hide to sleep in. If you have done all this already then ignore this.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok, so I bought it light recommended by Tom only “well similar”

I’m on my way home now!
I honestly think he needs a better light! Though!! The substrate is two wet! I’m gonna take outside for bit!
The type of light is perfect so long as its that incandescent flood light! Its just sometimes you need a larger wattage, but not always. Thats the only reason I keep 2 of the same bulb. Just different wattage. The substrate for him needs to dry out a bit more and the enclosure needs to stay warmer during the day. Its a hard balance to figure out in the begining

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
He doesnt need a rock. He needs a bigger enclosure if not already given. Needs the proper light/heat sources so he isn't cold. He needs a proper hide to sleep in. If you have done all this already then ignore this.
Tom said to go to Walmart to find his hide out thing for 2 bucks but didn’t find anything! I been two the ones i
Have in my valley! What’s the next best hideout for a desert tortoise?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Its now heating that might be the thing. Has anyone brought up CHE'S with you yet? Thats how we achieve ambient heat in the enclosures

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Tom said to go to Walmart to find his hide out thing for 2 bucks but didn’t find anything! I been two the ones i
Have in my valley! What’s the next best hideout for a desert tortoise?
What’s the proper heat source? I don’t have anything bought from the Petsmart because it wasn’t recommended due to it
Being dangerous! I
Bought something similar that Tom suggested me to get!
im on my way to the house to take pics of his enclosure! I’m not sure What kind of enclosure to get because nobody has said anything about that either! I was gonna get him a tortoise table but Tom suggested not to! Then I was gonna get a humidity chamber but again suggested not too!!

if this helps..he’s an inside tortoise! I’ll eventually put him outside...once he gets bigger!!