Help I dont know if my tortoise is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I took out my redfoot today for a romp in the grass because it is sooo nice out. He walked around and ate some clovers and all was good. On the way back he started pooping everywhere and it didnt look like the poop he normally has. I think he might have diarrhea. What should I do?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Has he had fruit in the last couple days? I know my redfoots will get that way sometimes after eating their fruit. I don't think that anything that he ate out in the yard would go through him that fast so that's why I'm guessing an earlier feeding.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Florida
He did have his fruit earlier this week. He also had cat food with calcium yesterday. The main reason I am worried is because there was some white spots in the poop. Isnt that a sign of urates?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I've never had any urate problems with mine so you may have to wait for someone who has some knowledge with that. You could always take a fecal sample and have it tested though.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Urates is not a problem.. its normal.. They can pee and poop at the same time.. maybe he was stressed from being out.. and picked up..

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
My baby sulcata has the runs. I havent fed him anything different. He might have drank some water from the dish in his enclosure. Could it be from over hydrating?

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Sometimes after a good long soak my sulcata will have real soft poop instead of his normal cigar looking stool.I think it is from the extra water they drink and it is probably normal as long as it does not last long.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
Sometimes after a good long soak my sulcata will have real soft poop instead of his normal cigar looking stool.I think it is from the extra water they drink and it is probably normal as long as it does not last long.

thanks. Im pretty sure that could be the problem, because today was the first time I put a dish of water in his enclosure for him to hydrate if he wanted. I think he may have gotten carried away with it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is possible, but please do not let it scare you away from letting him have free choice water. Just monitor him carefully, and you can even give him some unflavored pedialyte to drink. It will replace electrolytes.

They really should have free choice water.

Kristina

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
kyryah said:
It is possible, but please do not let it scare you away from letting him have free choice water. Just monitor him carefully, and you can even give him some unflavored pedialyte to drink. It will replace electrolytes.

They really should have free choice water.

Kristina

Yeah, I put the water back in, but he is very sluggish today. I can not think why. The only thing that has been a major change is cypress mulch. I think he still has the runs because there was some on his back legs. I gave a small amount of spring mix today.

M

Maggie Cummings

Is the temp the same as always? I really do think it's just too much grocery greens, and that you just need to give him some dried stuff...and make sure he's warm enough. How old is he, I've forgotten.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
maggie3fan said:
Is the temp the same as always? I really do think it's just too much grocery greens, and that you just need to give him some dried stuff...and make sure he's warm enough. How old is he, I've forgotten.

7 or 8 months. The basking temp might be a bit lower, but still around 90

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you give your sully hay? Maybe try putting some hay in his enclosure for him to munch on if you don't already. Or you could cut it up small and mix it with the grocery greens your giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.