Help!! Husky got ahold of my Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajg74

5 Year Member
My husky broke through her electric fence, into my torts enclosure, and got ahold of him. He's still alive and the dog didnt puncture his legs or head. But his bottom shell area where his head pokes out at is bleeding and pretty raw. It is also cracked and missing some pieces.

I put the powder that is for nails that bleed if they are cut too short on him to stop the bleeding and I'm waiting for an emergency vet to call me back. Any suggestions while I wait!?

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
This happened to me not too long ago at all. Rinse it gently with warm water and put neosporin on it. Then put him in a warm dark shoe box for a day or two. My vet had me wash his wounds with iodine and then put anitibotics on. Hope that helps :)

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Ruchonnet said:
This happened to me not too long ago at all. Rinse it gently with warm water and put neosporin on it. Then put him in a warm dark shoe box for a day or two. My vet had me wash his wounds with iodine and then put anitibotics on. Hope that helps :)

This sounds like great advice. This has never happened to me personally but I have always obsessed overly dog getting the tort. Keep us posted! Fingers crossed.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
If you have a feed store near you, runout and buy nolvasan (horse isle).
Dilute it 1cc per oz of water and flush like mad, pat dry.
I'd avoid the styptic powder for bleeding *** it burns like a mother $&%#-er.
Instead, dry cloth and pressure so it can clot. In a pinch corn starch works and no chemical burns. :)

I'm not a fan of neonsporin as UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine (this is per two newer grad DVMs I've worked with) perport is delays wound healing. Torts already have slow metabolism and are slow to heal, so maybe not ideal? I'd keep clean and dry and allow to granulate in (scar tissue) on its own. If bad enough, try a sugar compress. Sugar pulls debris and infection out and feeds living tissue. There is even medical grade honey now for wound healing! We're using sugar in all contaminated wounds now! Love the results.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I do agree, I used the neosporin to keep out the germs as much as I could until the vet could see me. I then was prescribed derma vet and it worked grest. His wounds stabbed very quickly. He did loose his appetite for about a week but it came back. So dont worry if he doesnt eat for a bit!

ajg74

5 Year Member
I think he will be okay. He's poking his head out of his shell and was walking around. I rinsed him with warm water and put an antibiotic ointment on him for the time being.
The vet said to get iodine and dilute it until it looks like tea, give him a warm soak in the iodine and water once a day and then put ointment on his wounds. He's in a dark but warm box with a towel.
As long as I can get him to eat and prevent any infection I think he will pull through. I rescued him a few years ago. Poor guy has been through a lot :(

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377454076.486397.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377454113.178054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Mine looks very similar to that but much worse and hes doing great so your little guy will make it I bet!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
ajg74 said:
I think he will be okay. He's poking his head out of his shell and was walking around. I rinsed him with warm water and put an antibiotic ointment on him for the time being.
The vet said to get iodine and dilute it until it looks like tea, give him a warm soak in the iodine and water once a day and then put ointment on his wounds. He's in a dark but warm box with a towel.
As long as I can get him to eat and prevent any infection I think he will pull through. I rescued him a few years ago. Poor guy has been through a lot :(

He needs a vet.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

RiverBreezy

5 Year Member
Florida
I'm not going to say your tort DOESN'T need a vet. But just to comfort you, I used to assist a licensed wildlife rehabber with all the turts and torts she got (because she was completely clueless when it came to chelonians), and I saw lots of cases worse than what's pictured. In those cases, I used a diluted Betadine or Nolvasan solution to keep the areas clean. No systemic antibiotics were needed, and the animals recovered well. The biggest thing will be keeping it clean and keeping pesky maggots out of the wounds if there were any punctures. That said, a vet visit is always best to be safe, but I think your pet will be okay. Good luck with it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I k ow you need to be calm a d think clearly so that you can do what you have to to care for your tort. Are you planning on taking him to a vet? The first concern is infection and any puncture wounds to an organ. Are you certain that there are no punctures? If it's only the plastron that's been bitten, then use an antiseptic solution which can be found over the counter. Also, there's a great soaking solution called S.T.37 that you can get over the counter that's great for wounds. You can order it online if a pharmacy doesn't have it. That stuff works miracles. Keep it dry thereafter, and keep your tort warm. Offer food, but if he doesn't want it, that's normal. See a vet if things are worse or if that is a puncture wound! I hope you learned your lesson. Dogs and torts don't mix. Even with an electric fence, you need to make your tort pen impenetrable. Read Tom's thread under my name.

ajg74

5 Year Member
Extra safe precautions are always taken between my dog and my other animals. My grandmother is in our home under hospice care and is in the process of passing. People are in and out of my house who do not know our normal routines. Doors were left open by people who did not know any better. I don't know what "lesson" needs to be learned. It was an accident that occurred in a stressful situation. I will be taking him to a vet. But my grandmother has only hours left with us so I will not be able to take him today. Hence why I am reaching out for help.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Accidents happen, and don't I know it. Been a vet tech 21 years this coming September (might require a party), and I have seen and heard it ALL!

Nolvasan (Chlorhex) or Provadone Iodine (Betadyne/Betadine) diluted 1cc per ounce will both work equally well.

As stated and repeated, stay calm, smile, rinse with either solution, and keep him warm and definitely have him examined. Better to spend the money and be safe than have missed something, even something simple that you missed because you were stressed and not focused. It happens to the best of us.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The details of what happened were not originally revealed. Sorry to hear about your grandma. I, too, have been a caregiver for years, and I understand about chaos. It was an accident that could have happened to anyone under those circumstances. If, after all is over with people coming and going, maybe you can look into securing the pen in the event the invisible fence fails. There are no punctures , are there? If not, just follow the advise on cleaning, and he'll be fine. Sorry for all the stress you're going through.
ajg74 said:
Extra safe precautions are always taken between my dog and my other animals. My grandmother is in our home under hospice care and is in the process of passing. People are in and out of my house who do not know our normal routines. Doors were left open by people who did not know any better. I don't know what "lesson" needs to be learned. It was an accident that occurred in a stressful situation. I will be taking him to a vet. But my grandmother has only hours left with us so I will not be able to take him today. Hence why I am reaching out for help.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I would still also pack those chewed areas with sugar or honey. The keratin of the shell is somewhat absorbent and the bacteria from your Huskie's mouth can be soaked in enough (or injected thru the tooth impressions) that sugar will help draw that out (just like baking soda paste on a bee sting).
Once he gets to the DVM for an exam, it can be gently washed off in the hospital.

Interesting sugar case...we are treating a young German Shepard who was tied in the back of a truck, and jumped out (young eager dog) and was accidentally dragged behind the truck several miles before the driver stopped (yah, I think there is more to the story than that....the county officers are investigating). We removed the dead and damaged tissue/bone/ligaments, flushed repeatedly with Nolvasan solution, packed with grocery story bought granulated sugar, wrapped and Vetwrap and sent home on opiates and antibiotics. We change his sugar bandages every day.
All four feed are ground down, chest and side. He is healing amazingly fast and now the entire practice is sold on "sugar bandages". Mess, heck yah!!!!!! Makes treatment floor awesomely sticky!!!!

laclone

5 Year Member
Collegeville, PA.
Lots of good advice here by people who know more about Tortoise-specific care than I do. Follow the advice given by the vet and forum members and he should do well. The wounds don't look (from the pics) excessively severe and non-life threatening if well cared for, but quality, Tortoise experienced, Vet care is a Must, to be safe.

Keep us posted.

At this time of extreme stress, know that you are doing a wonderful thing with the Hospice Home care. Life's passing awaits all of us. To be in a familiar and comfortable environment when it happens, surrounded with family and love, is a blessing. She will live on within you and your memories, and don't be surprised afterwards when you unexpectedly hear her speaking in your thoughts making comments and giving you advice in your future.

As you have found out the hard way, electric fencing only works if the dog decides that what's on the other side of the "fence" isn't worth the momentary discomfort of going over it.
As it only starts to work a couple of feet away from approaching the perimeter wire, it also stops working a couple of feet after going over it.

It does not replace a physical fence/obstacle.

Anyplace you absolutely do NOT want your dog to go must have a physical barrier to prevent him from going there.

(On a humorous side-note, I have to relate here that it doesn't work the other way also. Someone I know was recently surprised when her female dog became pregnant. As she told us, " I don't know how it could have happened. The outside yard is protected by an electronic fence!")

You're doing the best you can. Keep the wound clean and cared for as suggested by those who know about these things, check in with the Vet often and he'll be fine.

L.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am so sorry to hear about this happening. Especially at such a bad time. You have been given some good advise on cleaning and care. I think your tort will be fine. Time to take care of you....:)

ajg74

5 Year Member
Took him to the vet today. We gave him a good cleaning and the vet removed a piece of his shell that was barely hanging on. Gave him a shot in his leg that helps his shell heal. The vet also gave me a tube of Banana Peel extract cream.
I will continue to do the diluted Iodine soak in the mornings followed by applying the cream after his soak and before bed. He also prescribed a 50 day supply of oral metronidazole. I also removed his coconut fiber substrate and replaced it with paper.
He should make a full recovery.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I had paper towels down for mine also and a realized he enjoyed crawling under them like would to burrow. So I always left a piece hanging that he could hide under. Maybe he would like that too! :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I'm glad the vet was able to help, and that the prognosis looks good. It sounds like you've already gotten a ton of good advice.

One thing I'd like to add: I would NOT soak in diluted iodine daily, because after the initial disinfecting properties that are good right after an injury occurs, the iodine will actually severely dry out the wound and can actually PREVENT normal healing from occurring. I would just soak in water.

Interesting that they prescribed metronidazole. It is usually used to treat giardia. I know in mammals it can also be used as an antibiotic for stomach issues... but I've never heard of it being used to treat wound healing. Is your vet very experienced with tortoises?

Best wishes, and I hope everything heals up ok! I can tell you from experience that tortoises are AMAZING at healing. I've personally seen rescues that were in worse shape, and made it just fine in the end.

ajg74 said:
Took him to the vet today. We gave him a good cleaning and the vet removed a piece of his shell that was barely hanging on. Gave him a shot in his leg that helps his shell heal. The vet also gave me a tube of Banana Peel extract cream.
I will continue to do the diluted Iodine soak in the mornings followed by applying the cream after his soak and before bed. He also prescribed a 50 day supply of oral metronidazole. I also removed his coconut fiber substrate and replaced it with paper.
He should make a full recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.