Help! Have I missed anything?

Hattie's mum

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
I'm trying to be relaxed and let Hattie settle in. I've read this could take some time, so I'm prepared for that. Hattie is an 8 months old Mediterranean spur-thighed tortoise. I have her in a tortoise table. Temperature under the basking lamp is 35c, in her hide is 21c. Humidity is 64%.
Her light goes on at about 0700 and Hattie is normally out of her own accord by 0800. She basks, feeds and poo fine. She moves from the basking area to just inside her hide and back again. By lunch time, she tucks herself away in her hide, amongst the hay and that is her done for the day. Is this normal?
I know she's young and I've only had her 2 weeks, but I thought she would be out and about for a little more of the day.
Have I missed anything, or just being an over anxious parent?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that sounds about right.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises are prey, and so they stay out of sight for most of the time.

Hattie's mum

Uk
Of course, that makes perfect sense. Just asking the question and having an answer confirmed is all that is needed! Thank you!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That seems completely normal. Baby tortoises DO sleep a lot, but she will eventually start staying awake more.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Sounds like a normal baby to me. Think bout it, just like human babies, all we do is eat, poo, play for a while and then sleep most of the days. Repeat. Just like Yvonne said, only difference from us humans is that they are considered pray. They have to get out if sign or they will get numm numms on! You are doing a wonderful job maintaining him/her. Keep up the good job!!! With hatchlings, I like to follow one golden rule. The K.I.S.S. Method. (Don't take offense, that's just what's it's called) Keep It Simple Stupid. Lol.

Hattie's mum

Uk
Thank you
Sounds like a normal baby to me. Think bout it, just like human babies, all we do is eat, poo, play for a while and then sleep most of the days. Repeat. Just like Yvonne said, only difference from us humans is that they are considered pray. They have to get out if sign or they will get numm numms on! You are doing a wonderful job maintaining him/her. Keep up the good job!!! With hatchlings, I like to follow one golden rule. The K.I.S.S. Method. (Don't take offense, that's just what's it's called) Keep It Simple Stupid. Lol.