HELP. (hatchling not moving)

kaitiejane

I woke up this morning and my Greek tortoise hatching is not moving. great Mother's Day present to me I know. He was perfectly fine yesterday eating normal had his daily soak and was walking around and acting completely normal. He had a R.I. Over a month ago but I took him to the vet and got him the medicine and he's been fine now. I have no clue what could've happened or what could of causes this. Any thoughts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So, you think he's dead?

This happens frequently. If an animal acts sick, he'll be someone's dinner, so sick animals hide it.

I'm so sorry. This is not easy to deal with, and especially on a day that's supposed to be special for you.

kaitiejane

He hasn't been hiding though. He's been walking around like normal and being his usual self. And he's definitely dead. I just don't know what could've happened that caused it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way for us to know, but my guess would be the medicine. Most medicines used on tortoises are really very harsh and tiny hatchlings sometimes just can't handle it. If there was internal organ damage due to the medicine from a month ago, it could do this.

Very sorry for your loss.

kaitiejane

I thought that too but the vet made the medicine for his size she made it by Hand so it wouldn't effect his organs. Or at least that's what she told me she did

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought that too but the vet made the medicine for his size she made it by Hand so it wouldn't effect his organs. Or at least that's what she told me she did

I have no doubt that those were her intentions, but sometimes it just doesn't work the way people intend.

This is just a guess on my part. Seems to be the most likely answer.

Poisoning or insect envenomation is also possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He hasn't been hiding though. He's been walking around like normal and being his usual self. And he's definitely dead. I just don't know what could've happened that caused it.

No - they hide their sickness, not themselves. They go around acting completely normal and then they die.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am so sorry. I understand the disappointment and sadness you are feeling. I had a leopard hatchling that never grew. I lost him on Christmas morning. He was almost a year old, and was starting to show signs of growth. It was devastating.

kaitiejane

He lives in an indoor enclosure because weather hasn't been good so there's no way it could've been poisoning or insects.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I am so sorry. I had a similar experience several months ago with a Hermann's hatchling. It is so hard.

I hope you will try again. I did. I have a wonderful Greek hatchling. I will continue to be sad about the loss of Nelson. But the care and Keeping of tortoises is a wonderful hobby.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.