Help! Hatchling Box Turtle Food

If you don't have his/her light on a timer replicating a summer light cycle (12/14 hours of light at least) he may be getting the signal to hibernate. What I would do in this case is make sure temps and light replicates summer and make sure you're giving more protein (bugs) as this is what is available in the wild in the spring and early summer (before plants and flowers bloom). Have to trick turtle into thinking it already hibernated.
Thanks I've had him eating for a couple days now crickets mealworms and earthworms now I'm just working on getting him to eat veggies and fruit

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
Someone mentioned serving their food on a red dish, I have had some success with this when trying to feed my boxes something she normally would turn her nose up at.

Lyles

Someone mentioned serving their food on a red dish, I have had some success with this when trying to feed my boxes something she normally would turn her nose up at.

That's a good idea, red is a food trigger for many turtles and tortoises. It reminds them of ripe fruit, like strawberries and tomatoes.

M249saw

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville,Florida
Thanks for all these tips. I too am having issues with my new E Box that I've had for 3 days.

I was worried that keeping one end at 90 degrees was too much as it was drying out the substrate so fast. He is getting daily warm soaks, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a concern humidity wise.

kbroadway2

It took my hatchling about two weeks to really eat because he still had his yolk sac. When he did start eating he loved pill bugs and chopped up red wigglers. Now that he is bigger (about an inch and a half across) he eats whole red wigglers and has started snacking on mushrooms, kale, banana, and cantaloupe. His diet is still mostly worms though.