Help! Had a tortiose break into our yard

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Hi there,

So fair warning, I know nothing about tortoises. I live in Orange County California, in the middle of a huge suburban sprawl. Yet some how we have had 2 tortoises pop in our yard in the last 6 weeks. We have no clue why.

So right now we are contacting local rescues in hopes of finding this lil guy a safe home. We have 3 dogs, and are NOT a good choice.

So until we can find drop this lil dude somewhere safe we wanted to provide some kind of food. However we are struggling to identify them. Could I get some assistance?
View attachment 317123
5 inches long currently.

View attachment 317124
Picked them up to put them in the box and to look at the under-shell (trying to keep handling to a minimum.)
View attachment 317125
close up of the limbs. The spots look red/orange in light and yellow otherwise.
View attachment 317127

View attachment 317128 View attachment 317129 here are the front and back legs.
Another reason why we would like to know is if this lil guy in threatened/ endangered we want to be even more cautious in handling.

Thanks for your time.
This has to be an escapee from a nearby neighbor.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
But 2 tortoises together?

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
Look around on facebook and other social medias the owners might have posted something there. Also be careful about posting on social media that you have it becuse someone can say they are the owner and try to claim it without actually being the rightfull owner.
I have posted to a local facebook group for missing pets, and on the neighbor app. My plan is to ask for photos that they had previously as proof before giving her back.

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
I had a question for the experts, just wondering how common is that for 2 tortoises to "follow eachother" into a yard together?
well the first one was six weeks ago... and that was a whole thing because it was right before Christmas and we were struggling, was also a different breed. So we ended up reporting this to fish and game because it's weird. I have no clue why this is happening.

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
Not common at all some one probably dropped them in her yard plus if the owners were to keep them outside I am not sure how a redfoot tortoise that size would get enough humidity also they are not big enough to be outside unsupervised or secure because all it take is a bird to grab one of them I would wait at least until they are 2-3 lbs
She is still pretty tiny, we also have some hawks that hang out in the area. We took her inside last night.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you for explaining it. That is very odd. Are you keeping either one?

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
These are definitely someone's escaped pets. Could be a gardener left a gate open, or something like that, but I can guarantee you, someone near you is sick about losing their babies. So nice of you to rescue them and take the time to find the right care for them.

First and foremost they need to be kept warm. They can't live outside without their heated shelter. Our nights are much too cold, and our days are too cold right now too in winter. The warm soak previously suggested should be done daily, and you are absolutely dead on correct about keeping the dogs away from them. Dogs and dehydration are the top killers of pet tortoises in most cases.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. We will help you care for these guys and get them into the right hands.
I was worried about the temp, so we took her in last night. Working on getting the soak ready right now.

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
Thank you for explaining it. That is very odd. Are you keeping either one?
We turned the other one into fish and game because we suspected that they were on the endangered/threatened list (was either a Russian or a Mojave desert tortoise). This one we are looking into finding the owners currently. If we decide to keep her we will need to figure out a good place for her to keep her from our dogs. Might try to sell her if we can't find or keep just to make sure who ever takes her is serious about keeping her.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Update:
View attachment 317171
Post morning soak.
I am no expert, but please look at the tort feed sheets for redfoots on TF here. Lettuce gives them some water content but not much in the way of nutrients.

To me, seeing him in a cardboard box with no hide, no heat, no humidity but still eating says he"s hungry.

But experts on here can help you with his care & feeding.

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
I am no expert, but please look at the tort feed sheets for redfoots on TF here. Lettuce gives them some water content but not much in the way of nutrients.

To me, seeing him in a cardboard box with no hide, no heat, no humidity but still eating says he"s hungry.

But experts on here can help you with his care & feeding.
for sure, I have a friend that is more reptile savvy than me that will toss me a better temporary holding tub. We were looking into better foods, and some topsoil. This was a "Hey let;s keep her away from the dogs and inside in one space" overnight set up. We are planning on something better. Thanks for the advice!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I don't know if you have a Ring doorbell or know somebody that does. I lost my sulcata and posted on the Rind message board. I got a call in about a 1/2 hr.
Just put a message with no pic. Let them identify the tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
for sure, I have a friend that is more reptile savvy than me that will toss me a better temporary holding tub. We were looking into better foods, and some topsoil. This was a "Hey let;s keep her away from the dogs and inside in one space" overnight set up. We are planning on something better. Thanks for the advice!
Don't use soil. That can be toxic. Plain dirt from outside would be better than that. Fine grade orchid bark form the pet store, or bought in bulk at a local nursery will be better.

The main thing to prevent sickness is warmth. This species needs to be kept around 80-85 all the time. A basking bulb is great for some species, but not this one. They need over all ambient warmth. A space heater in a bathroom with the door closed can work temporarily.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
shere is the other one?
If you bring ONE in bring the other one Too!!
?
Where is the other one?
Bring them both inside....
If you have given him/her away ... why?
They BOTH could be someone’s pets??
Good luck whatever you do.. ???