Help! Had a tortiose break into our yard

HammerSpaced

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi there,

So fair warning, I know nothing about tortoises. I live in Orange County California, in the middle of a huge suburban sprawl. Yet some how we have had 2 tortoises pop in our yard in the last 6 weeks. We have no clue why.

So right now we are contacting local rescues in hopes of finding this lil guy a safe home. We have 3 dogs, and are NOT a good choice.

So until we can find drop this lil dude somewhere safe we wanted to provide some kind of food. However we are struggling to identify them. Could I get some assistance?
1612323009856.png
5 inches long currently.

1612323082170.png
Picked them up to put them in the box and to look at the under-shell (trying to keep handling to a minimum.)
1612323192949.png
close up of the limbs. The spots look red/orange in light and yellow otherwise.
1612323356345.png

1612323465078.png 1612323496369.png here are the front and back legs.
Another reason why we would like to know is if this lil guy in threatened/ endangered we want to be even more cautious in handling.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hi there,

So fair warning, I know nothing about tortoises. I live in Orange County California, in the middle of a huge suburban sprawl. Yet some how we have had 2 tortoises pop in our yard in the last 6 weeks. We have no clue why.

So right now we are contacting local rescues in hopes of finding this lil guy a safe home. We have 3 dogs, and are NOT a good choice.

So until we can find drop this lil dude somewhere safe we wanted to provide some kind of food. However we are struggling to identify them. Could I get some assistance?
View attachment 317123
5 inches long currently.

View attachment 317124
Picked them up to put them in the box and to look at the under-shell (trying to keep handling to a minimum.)
View attachment 317125
View attachment 317127

View attachment 317128 View attachment 317129 here are the front and back legs.
Another reason why we would like to know is if this lil guy in threatened/ endangered we want to be even more cautious in handling.

Thanks for your time.
Thats a redfoot tortoise

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi there,

View attachment 317123
5 inches long currently.

View attachment 317124
View attachment 317125
View attachment 317127

Thanks for your time.

what a perfect looking tortoise!
It looks like it is someone’s though....
If not claimed in 10 days .... he’s yours! ?
Good luck! ??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi there,

View attachment 317123
5 inches long currently.

View attachment 317124
View attachment 317125
View attachment 317127

Thanks for your time.

also ask around the neighbor hood.
I don’t see a red foot being wild?
I think it is someone’s tort.
Put up pics in town?
But certainly I would ask the neighbors first.
Maybe they know who’s it is?
Poor wee man....?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I agree, it is probably someones tort that broke out lol.

Here is the care for them until you figure things out.

It looks dry, so I'd give it a good soak as well. If you look it up on here there are lots of good threads about soaking and care ?
I have one of these guys and I love her! She is so chill and easy, but do what is best for you and him! Good luck! Ask any questions you want as well!

HammerSpaced

Huntington Beach, CA
I agree, it is probably someones tort that broke out lol.

Here is the care for them until you figure things out.

It looks dry, so I'd give it a good soak as well. If you look it up on here there are lots of good threads about soaking and care ?
I have one of these guys and I love her! She is so chill and easy, but do what is best for you and him! Good luck! Ask any questions you want as well!
thank you!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
A redfoot is not native to North America, this is someone’s pet, although someone could have “released” it as well. Have a good look around for owners, they are crafty escape artists and chances are someone within a mile of you will be looking for it.

yay14

stockholm
Look around on facebook and other social medias the owners might have posted something there. Also be careful about posting on social media that you have it becuse someone can say they are the owner and try to claim it without actually being the rightfull owner.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

View attachment 317123
5 inches long currently.

View attachment 317124
View attachment 317125
View attachment 317127

Thanks for your time.
These are definitely someone's escaped pets. Could be a gardener left a gate open, or something like that, but I can guarantee you, someone near you is sick about losing their babies. So nice of you to rescue them and take the time to find the right care for them.

First and foremost they need to be kept warm. They can't live outside without their heated shelter. Our nights are much too cold, and our days are too cold right now too in winter. The warm soak previously suggested should be done daily, and you are absolutely dead on correct about keeping the dogs away from them. Dogs and dehydration are the top killers of pet tortoises in most cases.

Feel free to ask lots of questions. We will help you care for these guys and get them into the right hands.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Also call around to various Veterinarians tell them, local pet stores, FB, but signs on telephone poles in that neighborhood are essential. But, again, keep his description to yourself and have the other person describe the torts to you. Otherwise some nefarious crook can get a free tortoise, see why?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
And
Also call around to various Veterinarians tell them, local pet stores, FB, but signs on telephone poles in that neighborhood are essential. But, again, keep his description to yourself and have the other person describe the torts to you. Otherwise some nefarious crook can get a free tortoise, see why?
And remember, those nefarious cooks are here on TFO as well. You take the time to look for his keeper, and that might take a few days. That's why I told you to get the word out...so the keepers might hear...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had a question for the experts, just wondering how common is that for 2 tortoises to "follow eachother" into a yard together?

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Not common at all some one probably dropped them in her yard plus if the owners were to keep them outside I am not sure how a redfoot tortoise that size would get enough humidity also they are not big enough to be outside unsupervised or secure because all it take is a bird to grab one of them I would wait at least until they are 2-3 lbs