Help... grass stuck inside the nostril.

mikeh

5 Year Member
A very thin piece of grass is stuck inside one of the nostrils. There is no way I can get it out with tweezers or toothpick. Its in there.
The tort has been sneezing and rubbing the nostril all day trying to get it out. The irritation is causing mucus discharge but this is not enough to wash it out. She is in clear discomfort.
Any advice on how to get it out would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can try flushing it out. Get a squeeze bottle, something like what contact lens solution comes in, and give a good squirt up the nostril. The other end doesn't go down the throat, it ends up in the roof of the mouth, so there is no danger of squirting water into the lungs.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
All I can think of is an ER show I watch where the girl had, what ended up being a bug, lodged way up her nose, they had the mother blow into the girls mouth while they covered the other nostril and out it came like a snot-rocket. I guess this isn't really a valid tortoise solution unless it was a larger tort who for some reason would cooperate and open its mouth for you, but just wanted to comment on how it was similar... I suppose if one could get one of those bulb blowers into its mouth it would work, but i'm sure the other answers here are much better. Good luck.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
You can try flushing it out. Get a squeeze bottle, something like what contact lens solution comes in, and give a good squirt up the nostril. The other end doesn't go down the throat, it ends up in the roof of the mouth, so there is no danger of squirting water into the lungs.
Could a toothbrush be use for this? Using a few of the brush's bristles for this?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Ech, I had to get pretty forceful with keeping her head out while trying to flush it out with irrigation rubber squeeze ball. I used both squirting and suction. No luck! ...and the tortoise hates me now. Lol.

On a more serious note, what are the chances of the nasal passage getting infected, the nostril with obstruction is still leaking and clogged with mucus.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it is definitely an irritant. I can see that it might possible get infected. I don't understand - if you can see the blade of grass, why can't you grab it with a pointed tweezer?

mikeh

5 Year Member
The blade is fully lodged inside not sticking out. I can see it when I shine a flashlight into the nostril.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Any luck getting it out?
I would keep soaking her. Let her try and blow it out under/in water. The warm water should definitely help her in this situation.

ARA

5 Year Member
My two bit advice would be to continue the soaking. Also let the tortoise rest, too much trauma or stress especially trying to hold its head/neck will be far more damaging than the piece of grass

mikeh

5 Year Member
Thanks for everyone's input. She seems to be doing better, there is still some discharge but sneezing has mostly subsided.
Guess the obstruction is slowly making its way down the nasal passage.