*HELP* Found Sulcata or Gopher tortoise?

Car

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello! I live in Florida and found this tortoise near the road. I normally leave wildlife alone especially here in Florida but it's shell looks too clean and pretty to be wild. I know that sounds weird but take a look at the pictures! It's so clean except for a little dirt on its belly and feet. Is this a wild tortoise or pet that has escaped it's yard? Gopher or sulcata? I live in a very developed community with just suburban street after street around. Could be wild because its flordia but I want to make sure before I put it back near where I found him. I am prepared to knock on doors to find the owner but want to see if you all think its wild or a pet. Your help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
20210326_135454.jpg
20210326_135612.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello! I live in Florida and found this tortoise near the road. I normally leave wildlife alone especially here in Florida but it's shell looks too clean and pretty to be wild. I know that sounds weird but take a look at the pictures! It's so clean except for a little dirt on its belly and feet. Is this a wild tortoise or pet that has escaped it's yard? Gopher or sulcata? I live in a very developed community with just suburban street after street around. Could be wild because its flordia but I want to make sure before I put it back near where I found him. I am prepared to knock on doors to find the owner but want to see if you all think its wild or a pet. Your help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
View attachment 321870
View attachment 321874
This is a Sulcata. It most likely to be an escaped pet of a nearby neighbor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you knew the difference from what looks wild and what looks too clean to be wild. Although if you seen my leopards, you would think they were wild, they are so dirty.
That for sure is a sulcata and someone's pet
Contact local rescues, vets, and keep eye out on craigslist.
If anyone steps up to claim him/her, make then describe it. Many people want a free tortoise just too resell.

Car

Florida
Glad you knew the difference from what looks wild and what looks too clean to be wild. Although if you seen my leopards, you would think they were wild, they are so dirty.
That for sure is a sulcata and someone's pet
Contact local rescues, vets, and keep eye out on craigslist.
If anyone steps up to claim him/her, make then describe it. Many people want a free tortoise just too resell.
Thank you all for the advice and reassuring me that it is a pet! I just knew he didn't belong out where he was. I'm planning to go door to door where I found him and then go from there. I will definitely ask for a picture or to describe him first. He looks very healthy and well cared for. I hope I can find the owner!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for the advice and reassuring me that it is a pet! I just knew he didn't belong out where he was. I'm planning to go door to door where I found him and then go from there. I will definitely ask for a picture or to describe him first. He looks very healthy and well cared for. I hope I can find the owner!
Good luck on your search for the owner, but please please do NOT put it back where you found it. If you can't find the owner, then maybe a local shelter will take it, or a rescue, or even a Craigslist ad for a free tortoise. Anything but releasing it to the wild, even if that is more of a neighborhood.

Car

Florida
Good luck on your search for the owner, but please please do NOT put it back where you found it. If you can't find the owner, then maybe a local shelter will take it, or a rescue, or even a Craigslist ad for a free tortoise. Anything but releasing it to the wild, even if that is more of a neighborhood.
Will definitely find a rescue or new home for him if I can't find the owners! How should I contain him in the meantime and what can I feed/water him? I have raspberries, apples, blackberries and lettuce in my fridge but I don't want to poison him. Right now he is in a plastic tote in my garage because I have a toddler, dog and 3 cats that would ay too rough with him. It is currently 91 degrees in Florida but the garage is cooler and darker. Safe place for him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not feed fruit.
If you can get some grass from a chemical free lawn feed that. Also greens from the grocery that are of the darker green. Collards, mustard, endive, kale, riddichio I know purple not green lol. Cactus pads thorns off, spring mix, no spinach or very little.
For now the lettuce in the frig will do for today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will definitely find a rescue or new home for him if I can't find the owners! How should I contain him in the meantime and what can I feed/water him? I have raspberries, apples, blackberries and lettuce in my fridge but I don't want to poison him. Right now he is in a plastic tote in my garage because I have a toddler, dog and 3 cats that would ay too rough with him. It is currently 91 degrees in Florida but the garage is cooler and darker. Safe place for him?
91 degrees is fine as long as there is heavy shade. A large kiddie pool or horse watering trough can be used to contain him, and very good call keeping the dog away from him. He can't stay in a small tub long term, but that's probably the safest place for him while you look for whoever lost him.

Wellington's advice on the food is spot on.

Car

Florida
Do not feed fruit.
If you can get some grass from a chemical free lawn feed that. Also greens from the grocery that are of the darker green. Collards, mustard, endive, kale, riddichio I know purple not green lol. Cactus pads thorns off, spring mix, no spinach or very little.
For now the lettuce in the frig will do for today.
Thank you so much for all the recommendations! I put spring mix lettuce I had in there for now. Waiting for my husband to come home to watch the toddler while I go door to door. I hope I find the owners before nightfall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for all the recommendations! I put spring mix lettuce I had in there for now. Waiting for my husband to come home to watch the toddler while I go door to door. I hope I find the owners before nightfall.
That sounded great. Any luck finding the owners?

Car

Florida
That sounded great. Any luck finding the owners?
Hi Tom! No luck yet after going door to door yesterday in the neighborhood. I have a feeling I'm not going to find them so late last night I started emailing rescues here in Tampa. Do you know of anyone that would be able to rescue this little guy? Poor thing has been in a plastic tote since yesterday. Thanks for reaching out.. Any advice?

Car

Florida
Try posting on nextdoor the neighborhood app.
I posted in the nextdoor app and have already found someone to take him and care for him until we find the owner. They have also offered to keep him if we don't find the owners. He lives on the street where I found the little guy and he has two Sulcatas in an outdoor enclosure. So happy he will be with someone that knows how to care for them! Thank you so much for all the help and suggestions!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I posted in the nextdoor app and have already found someone to take him and care for him until we find the owner. They have also offered to keep him if we don't find the owners. He lives on the street where I found the little guy and he has two Sulcatas in an outdoor enclosure. So happy he will be with someone that knows how to care for them! Thank you so much for all the help and suggestions!
You’re incredible! Thank you so much for all the effort and care you’ve put into helping this tortoise out.

Car

Florida
You’re incredible! Thank you so much for all the effort and care you’ve put into helping this tortoise out.
Thank you! I just knew he didn't belong where he was and I'm happy I listened to my gut. He is now with his new family just down the street from me and in such good hands! The family that took him in was already naming him/her before they made it in the door. They are saints!