Help!!! Found mould?!?

Skelly

Location (City and/or State)
Kildare, Ireland
As I was cleaning out little foots viv today I decided to move around the slates I have in it I have one at the cool end and one under his heat lamp but noticed there is mould growing underneath I use coco coir as substrate, this can’t be good for him? Any advice ?? I do mist his viv regularly every day but I don’t spray under the slates

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
Here are some pics

Attachments

• 6B300554-7E33-48DF-A029-DB8AC1C29087.jpeg
    6B300554-7E33-48DF-A029-DB8AC1C29087.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 5AC31FEA-D60A-4080-930A-05BE7759B89C.jpeg
    5AC31FEA-D60A-4080-930A-05BE7759B89C.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 4EA9C6FE-74BF-4EC8-932D-6A081AD4BE48.jpeg
    4EA9C6FE-74BF-4EC8-932D-6A081AD4BE48.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 30

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would just “spot clean“ that entire area there, meaning just remove as much of the moldy substrate as you can without being too obsessive. Let it dry up. Put in some new substrate. Is your VIV just plain wood? It’s possible it’s the wood molding up a bit and growing into the substrate vice the substrate itself. Don’t panic. I’m sure torts encounter mold in the wild. Just keep your 3ye on that area.

good luck

Reactions: Tom

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
Thank you should I put some dry coco coir on top instead of soaking it? And yes it is wood but it apparently has a coating on it to prevent that and I checked the bottoms there was no mould on the wood just a thin layer on the substrate should I change substrates?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I never had my coco coir get moldy, so before you just add a bunch back in, do some investigative work. Why that area, etc. Clean the area, let it dry up. Add substrate back in, yes, maybe a bit less moist in that area. Is that area in a cooler part or darker part of the enclosure? More water collect there? Did food lay there...etc.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I should have said, never had my coco coir get very moldy. Under the water dish sometimes, or under a stine in a wetter area, yes.

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
Thanks for all your help I completely cleaned out the whole area and took everything out so it was just the coco coir and realized it was very wet underneath but not so much at the top so I think I may need to just keep rotating it every day or so because it’s holding to much moisture, I also just added a small amount of dry coco coir and mixed it in to see if it would help absorb some more hopefully this all helps

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your help I completely cleaned out the whole area and took everything out so it was just the coco coir and realized it was very wet underneath but not so much at the top so I think I may need to just keep rotating it every day or so because it’s holding to much moisture, I also just added a small amount of dry coco coir and mixed it in to see if it would help absorb some more hopefully this all helps

Yes, just experiment a bit with your enclosure & substrate. That area might be cooler & damper thus creating a perfect spot to grow mold. Good luck.