Help! Found a tortoise and don’t know what species it is.

Dorely

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Help! I found a tortoise outside and I don’t know what type of tortoise it is! I’m hoping someone can help me figure it out. I have 3 sulcatas myself and im not sure if I can feed it the same things I feed my sulcatas! It has a bit of moss on its shell that I haven’t cleaned off yet.

93B65697-B03F-4C99-B2DA-92F2F589711A.png

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Help! I found a tortoise outside and I don’t know what type of tortoise it is! I’m hoping someone can help me figure it out. I have 3 sulcatas myself and im not sure if I can feed it the same things I feed my sulcatas! It has a bit of moss on its shell that I haven’t cleaned off yet.
Where are you from? It's not a tortoise but a turtle it looks like. Almost looks like a mud or musk turtle but hard to tell from the photo.

Kyle

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
By the look of all of that algae, I'm thinking it's an aquatic turtle.
If it is, they can only eat in the water.
If it isn't, you can easily drown him.
So, let's wait for more members to chime in.
In the meantime get us more photos.
The head. Full side view and from underneath.

Dorely

Texas
By the look of all of that algae, I'm thinking it's an aquatic turtle.
If it is, they can only eat in the water.
If it isn't, you can easily drown him.
So, let's wait for more members to chime in.
In the meantime get us more photos.
The head. Full side view and from underneath.
Thank you! I’m not home yet so I can’t inspect it properly but as soon as I get home I’ll take more pics.

Dorely

Texas
I’m thinking an aquatic turtle too.

Id suggest just releasing back near where you found it, with all the rain in Texas, it might have just got moved out of it’s normal area.
I’ll go ahead and do that once I figure out what it is! Thank you for your feedback.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It looks like a razor back musk turtle. They are native to Texas. They are aquatic turtles.

Dorely

Texas
So it’s definitely a water turtle! But I can’t release it back until tomorrow because now it’s too dark out to get close to the body of water I have close to my house. Is there anything that is recommended to feed these types of turtles? Just to get it through the night.

9A28CDBD-B60B-483C-9AC2-4C6385CA64A4.jpeg 34DBD87A-B38C-4DDF-8F95-B99D2254EE55.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So it’s definitely a water turtle! But I can’t release it back until tomorrow because now it’s too dark out to get close to the body of water I have close to my house. Is there anything that is recommended to feed these types of turtles? Just to get it through the night.

View attachment 281008 View attachment 281009
LOVE dem crazy paddle-feet!!! :p

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Baloney. His head looks exactly like a Diamond back Terrapin. Don't forget about pets that are released.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'd have to vote melanistic slider. Dbt's have a pretty distinct swirling pattern in the scutes. That is absent in the vertebral scutes that are visible in this animal.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@William Lee Kohler It is absolutely a slider. As said, an older melanistic red-ear. That is quite commonly how their head and neck color as they get melanistic. Also - the form and scute layout is undeniably slider (Trachemys) as opposed to diamondback terrapin (Malaclemys).