HELP!!! (Found a Baby Bird)

wccmog10

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Birds eat a lot of food, and grow extremely fast. You should basically feed him as much as he wants to eat every few hours. He should be able to go overnight without feedings though. He may be using his wing to support himself as he gains balance control and learns how to use his legs and wings, just like a baby person who learns to crawl, then hold onto someone’s hands while walking, before being able to walk unassisted. Were you able to find and actual injury?

Im glad you are trying to help this little guy out, but remember that birds are federally protected and you should be permitted in order to rehabilitate wildlife.

sc
I've gave it some small crickets i use for my bearded dragon. But I also use some soften kibble, the poor thing falls every time it walks. Thanks.

sc
He was injured he couldn't hardly move, one of his siblings were hoping around which was a fledgling, also a crow got most of the babies in the nest, I saw the crow try to get them. We called a wildlife rehabilitation but they never got back.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't image all birds are federally protected. Some are I am sure. Bald eagle comes to mind. Hummingbirds probably not

wccmog10

Georgia
I can't image all birds are federally protected. Some are I am sure. Bald eagle comes to mind. Hummingbirds probably not

All birds except for a few non natives, like English house sparrows, European starlings, and pigeons, are protected by the migratory bird treaty act. Even the birds that people hunt are protected. That is what you need a federal duck stamp for duck season. I believe there are actually more birds listed on the MBTA than there are considered to be native to North America. There are 993 birds listed as native to North America according to the American birding association. I wasn’t able to find how many birds are listed under the MBTA currently- but here is a link to the list. It gets updated every so often, I’m not 100% sure that this is the most up to date list, but it was the first one that came up on a google search.

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/policies-and-regulations/MBTAListofBirdsFinalRule.pdf

Page 65853 lists the northern mocking bird.
Page 65852 lists about 20 species of humming bird.

Now- This does not mean that I want you to leave the little bird to die, I just want you to be aware of the rules. The fact that you are trying to find a licensed rehabilitator makes a difference. Keep doing the best you can for the little guy while trying to find a permitted individual, and you shouldn’t have any problems.

sc
He has dried poo, and food on one side of his body where he seems to be falling on, I've tried some paper towels soaked in warm water but he won't stay still, I will definitely try baby wipes, I never thought of that, thanks.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Baby wipes! I use them for my dirty hatchling leopard butts. I imagine keeping a container right next to your baby bird will come in handy too. . . for both ends of the baby.
Baby wipes... A must for every emergency kit. :)

sc
Hi thanks for all the replys, he is currently flying, but his b bottom beak is bent down were he keeps falling on some concrete. He is doing alo t better though.

sc
Yes we did, I was at camp while my parents and sister was caring for him, they put him in a warm bath because he was dirty and that's when he started going down hill.