Help finding info on Hinge-backs, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I am having a bit of trouble finding detailed info on these guys... Is it simply that there isn't any? Or are my search skills finally failing me?

I am mainly interested in the home ranges of the subspecies, where they come from. I want to know what the weather, soil, and flora are like.

Thanks!
Kristina

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The subspecies of Kinixys belliana are now:
K.b.belliana; (Eastern Africa) from northeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo to Ethiopia and Somalia to Uganda and western Kenya
K.b.domerguei; northern Madagascar
K.b.zombensis; (Southeastern Africa) from northeastern Tanzania south to northeastern South Africa

K.b.nogueyi is now K.nogueyi; (Western Africa) from Senegal to Cameroon and the Central African Republic

Danny

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
There are a number of very detailed studies done in Africa by A. Hailey.
These are easily accessable by Googling 'Kinixys spekii, Hailey' and you should be able to locate at least a half dozen of his (her?) papers.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks, both of you. The torts that I ended up with are K. erosa, but I will definately check out the research.

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kyryah said:
Thanks, both of you. The torts that I ended up with are K. erosa, but I will definately check out the research.

Kristina

I've never developed an interest in hingebacks, but I'd love to see some pictures of your new erosa, Kristina, and maybe how you have them set up?

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My experience is with homes which come from the same general area and habitat in W. Africa. This is a humid, evergreen rainforest. They both prefer a permanent source of water for wading and soaking (the erosa even more so I understand). They eat succulent greens (collards ext), fruits, and a large propertion of inveterbrates (mine love earthworms and bait shrimp) and also an occional mushroom. Being from the rainforest they dislike bright light and are fairly shy (I seldom see them eating). They like temps in the 80's and a damp humis/woodmulch substrat with a humd hide per individual. A good example of habitat would be box turtle habitat in W. Michigan but 80's the year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.