Help!! eyes never opened after hatching 2 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I have actually thought of the same thing... however, I am sure that it would be very expensive.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I think the shell will stay deformed as it is.. yes the new growth will make a few changes, but your baby will always be special.

Please supply more pictures, and give you baby more bath water... She wont drown herself

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I put some more water in the enclosure... he never really goes in there though. The attached pictures are of eyes and shell. He also has one toe nail that grows straight up instead of out. He only seems to have one nostril that is all the way open as well, the other is like grown over or something.

SDC13166.jpg

SDC13148.jpg

SDC13160.jpg

SDC13158.jpg

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have seen this before... She was born deformed similar to that.
She had excellent care, but something happened in incubation i guess....

its a box turtle at the rescue....

Prinmel

5 Year Member
So his eyes are probably stuck shut huh? That’s ok he really gets around well, he can see light, so knows where his hiding area is and he knows where his food is, he is in the living room and doesn't see us moving around all the time so that is good too. He will have a good life even if he is blind forever, I may continue the medicine for one more week because I do see movement of the skin when he blinks now, but I am pretty sure he is the way he is at this point. I am going to look into a couple University vet hospitals in my area, sometimes if it is an interesting enough case, they will do surgeries on animals for free to give the students the experience. We'll see…

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You said you're going to keep up the medicine. Does that mean you are applying the eye ointment? You can gently rub the eye with a q-tip and the medication. That sometimes helps to release the "stuck" part. The toenail and the shell are indications of poor diet and no UVB. I'll bet her/his tail is very short and sticking straight up too. Another indication.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
his tail is short and sorta bulbous at the end, but he has a uva/uvb light now and yes I am using the ointment and do rub it a little, he really doesn't like it and pulls his head in and smears it all over, but I am putting it on 3 times a day and Tuesday will be the 7th full day of 3 applications a day.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
Thanks for the thanks! I have put a lot of attention into him but its been fun, I have gotten pretty attached to the little guy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.