Help!! eyes never opened after hatching 2 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Prinmel said:
I guess my sister told her mother in law it was a box not a tortoise and the mother got very upset, so apparently she is in denial..

And she has been doing this as a living for 15 years?!?!

No one, and I mean no one, has ever mentioned that these are box turtles?

How are they SURVIVNG? And as already mentioned, it is highly illegal to breed desert tortoises, so at any rate that would be a major problem...

I am not trying to be mean, I am just REALLY confused as to how she could just not know? How can you keep an animal for FIFTEEN YEARS and not even know what it is?????

As Maggie was saying, this is essentially a "land" turtle, not a swimming turtle... They are a bit more aquatic than most tortoises, but not so much as pond turtles. Be VERY careful putting that poor blind baby in water. It should be warm, but not hot, and shallow enough that he can lift his head out of the water with little to no effort. If he could see, it could be a bit deeper, but with those eyes, he can drown.

If he isn't eating, let us know, we can help with that.

Prinmel

5 Year Member
He ate this morning a lot. Right now he has the pellets that you get wet and they puff up. I had to put him in the food bowl but he ate great as far as I can tell. I am not going to be putting him in water or anything on a regular basis... just for the next few days to help him catch up on fluids. I put him in a tub with about a half inch of water and watch him, he likes to drink that way.. he may not know he has a water dish in his tank but he does with a half inch of water because I don't want him to drown. He is actually not doing to bad I don't think with the blindness, because as I said before, I think he can sort of see shadows and such because if you move your hand in of his eyes he moves his head either toward or away from it.

I am not sure how she didn't know, but I guess she was absolutely adamant about it when my sister asked if it was a box so, I don't know but at least I know now and can move on in the right direction with him.. and if anyone would like to know, I named him bébé, because he is just the size of my palm and so cute!

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, good job! I am close enough to help if you need it. And if you get tired of him and want to get rid of him send me a message and I will come and get him from you and add him to my collection of blind and lame animals. Mine are all either blind or missing limbs so he would fit right in here...:cool:

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I have called all the stores that may carry the terramyacin ointment, and NOBODY has any.. I guess it is on manufacturer hold until JULY! So that stinks big time!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have some if you want me to ship it to you.

I got 2 last month, and i will be glad to send it up.

pm me your address..

you can return the favor to some one else...

M

Maggie Cummings

terracolson said:
I have some if you want me to ship it to you.

I got 2 last month, and i will be glad to send it up.

pm me your address..

you can return the favor to some one else...

Terra...thank you so much. I did the same thing last month and so I only have one tube now. Looks like I'd better run over to the feed store before they run out. I have several animals here that need eye treatment and it would be awful if I were to run out of that tube.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
NP... I got her addy and i am shipping it....

My girlfriend is a vet tech and shipped it to me for free from So cal and sent me 2 tubes, so why not share the love!

M

Maggie Cummings

terracolson said:
NP... I got her addy and i am shipping it....

My girlfriend is a vet tech and shipped it to me for free from So cal and sent me 2 tubes, so why not share the love!

Good deal! Thanks

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I wanted to show you all the new setup I have for my little blind guy. I finally got it done today, it took me forever to dig that grass up and get it planted, but he seems happy! I may have to take out the little rock filled pool though, I’m a tad nervous he will fall in and drown while I’m not here to watch him. Can't wait to get the ointment, I’m really hoping it will get those little eyes open!

SDC13092.jpg

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I mailed it back on thursday I think.. i pmed you and said i would mail it that day...

I put 3 stamps on it, it should be just fine.. to get there on 3 stamps...

You never gave me your real name so i left it blank.. Please update me if you dont have it, we need to call the post offices and find out what is going on

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I remember the pm.. and I sent you my name... weird cause it is not in the sent items in my mail box, not sure why it didn't work.. I really appreciate you sending it, I really hope it helps. I will keep you posted, and thanks agian!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That enclosure looks GREAT!!! Very nice job, so much better than a tank!!!!!

I would get a glazed terra cotta saucer, like what is used under a flower pot, for a water dish to replace the container that you have in there. I agree, if he falls in there on his back he will never be able to right himself and could easily drown.

Good luck with those eyes!!! If you think he can see shadows, I am willing to bet there are eyes behind those lids that are at least partially working! Now just to get them open ;)

One thing I would do different is add a hide... Something along the lines of this would be fine, as would just a cardboard box with some bedding in it.
habbahut.jpg

Other than that, seriously great job!

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I just put the first dose of ointment on! I have my fingers crossed that it will work. I will keep updating as the days go on.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I guess the question is, how long should it take? I know you dont know prinmel, but does any one have an idea?

Prinmel

5 Year Member
Well so far not much is happening. I think I may see some cracks for where the lids are supposed to open (kind of diagonal slits, more toward the top? is that where there eyes usually open and close?) And there is some movement of the lid skin when he "blinks" other than that no much going on. I guess he was vet checked when he was a baby though. But he is eating well and walks around constantly. He is very active and I think really happy. Do you know if his shell will ever smooth out as he grows and is taken care of well?
Thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it was going to help, I think you'd so some progress due to the ointment within a week if you are applying it correctly, but it won't hurt to use it longer if you don't see progress by then.

Soaking the turtle in water as instructed above could also help (the turtle dipping its head in to drink which will also hopefully get the eyes moist). Since you said you didn't feel comfortable leaving the water in there, how often are you soaking it? Daily is a good idea, maybe even twice a day for shorter times since it is a turtle and has a poor history.

What part of the shell are you speaking of about smoothing out? If you show us a picture it might help (unless you are talking about the front which we can see in a photo above). That bumpiness could be from poor diet and lack of humidity. If the care is better, the new growth will look better, but bumps will remain (although less noticeable due to the new growth).

Prinmel

5 Year Member
I do leave a little water in his enclosure, and spray him with a water bottle a few times a day, like when I walk by I give him a quick spray. I put him in water every day to soak, but because of his blindness, the soak is in really shallow water like half an inch, so not to sure its making a huge difference but I think the spraying is good for him, I keep the "lawn" moist at all time and spray inside his pot he hides in.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I wonder if a vet could surgically seperate his eyelids? It sounds as though they are fused.

It would be a very delicate surgery, but I have seen and performed similar things.

You would DEFINITELY need an EXPERIENCED tortoise vet. We can help you find one if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.