Help! Escaped Russian Tortoise

Taloan

My russian tortoise, Thermopylae, escaped from his indoor enclosure today! I've had him for about six months and he's never gotten close to escaping, but sometime today while we were gone he pushed a bunch of stuff around and managed to knock over a plant and I'm guessing use it to get out the top. Luckily the enclosure is on the floor, but when I went to get ready to go to bed and turn off his day lamp I discovered him missing. I've searched the whole house, every closet, under every piece of furniture, even in the cupboards and I can't find him anywhere. There is no possible way he could have gotten outside. So, anyone have any advice on how to find him or coax him out? Any sort of place they are known to hide? I'm desperate! Thanks!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Put his food dish on the floor next to his enclosure with some of his favorite foods in it. Also adjust his heat lamp so it is outside his enclosure so perhaps he will come to it to bask as he will be cold by morning.

Check inside shoes. Look in the corners of the room behind curtains and blinds. Look under throw rugs. Also if you have a cat or dog make sure they do not have free fun of the house until your tortoise is found. Look under the refrigerator as it generates heat and he might be under it for the warmth. Be very careful where you walk and be careful about closing doors. In the morning if you get sunshine through a certain window look there as he will be seeking warmth.

Russian tortoises are great escape artists. When you find him it would be good idea to put some sort of a top on the enclosure to prevent future escapes.

I am sure you will find him. Please post when you find him and let us know where you found it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would set up a nice warm basking spot in a cool house that should get him coming out quickly

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Check under beds and dressers, and especially under rugs!! He probably wants to dig under something. Maybe even a pile of laundry. I'm sure he'll turn up soon! It's a good thing he's inside and not outside running around. I want to find out where he's hiding.

Taloan

Tortoise has been found... on our coffee table. We have a kotatsu which is basically a table with a blanket and when we were searching my husband folded the blanket on to the top of the kotatsu to look underneath and he accidentally rolled the tortoise up in the blanket. Luckily I was careful when I was putting the blanket back down and didn't launch him through the air! He seemed sluggish this morning but I assume that's from the cold and otherwise seems unharmed. Enclosure is definitely getting a remodel! Soooooo relieved!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Kotatsu" Ha! I had to Google it:

kotatsu-kittens.jpg