HELP! Does this look healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Does this look healthy? Does that look like shell rot/?? Is it pyramiding?

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 124
  • psu2.jpg
    psu2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 98
  • psu3.jpg
    psu3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 81
  • psu4.jpg
    psu4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 75

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You have some mild pyramiding starting there. I don't know that species, but for other species I would, up the humidity, soak daily, spray the shell with water several times a day and offer a humid hide in a warm area of the enclosure. Make sure the whole enclosure stays warm all the time when using high humidity. I shoot for around 80 degrees day and night with high humidity.

There is something deeply disturbing in the first pic... You have one of the most rare, endangered and precious animals on the entire planet and you are literally risking its life by mixing it with other species... Your ploughshare, and your other species too, should not be housed with, or have any contact with other species or their enclosures. They simply are not equipped to deal with the pathogens that each species typically carries. Please separate them BEFORE disaster strikes. I realize that it is common in some areas of the world to mix species like this, but entire collections have been wiped out this way. There are loads of permanently infected animals running around right now. Some species can live with certain pathogens, but when they pass those pathogens to other species it can be deadly. Lots of people attempt this, and some get away with it for a while, but if you ever see someones entire collection crash and burn, you will never do it again.

Since your current one has been compromised, I highly recommend you keep your incoming new one(s) completely separate for at least the first six months and get several fecal exams done on your other one to assess what it may have picked up and need treatment for...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have to agree with Tom here. Please get them separate enclosures. Your tortoises' lives depend on it!

Radiated

5 Year Member
Those aren't mine, i saw this in some owners house, he had two other large 30cm radiate in a 120cm terrarium, didn't fit that well, so i decided to buy it off him. But does it look ok? is the pyramiding severe? Can it be cured at this stage? Thanks

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I don't notice any extreme pyramiding. Looks pretty mild. I don't see any shell rot either.

JacksonR

5 Year Member
No shell rot for sure. Pyramiding isn't terrible.

Just radiateds and ploughshares are together in that pic. Not as bad as a ploughshare with a sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.