ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks. How do you keep one side cooler with that type of light?
That type of light only provides UVB. Not any heat. It's a standard 18" fixture from Walmart with an 18" UVB reptile tube from a pet shop. You can get the entire thing from a pet shop. But I'll repeat, do not buy the screw in compact CFL bulb that they will attempt to sell you. Get the strip florescent type.

Tember-the-turtle

mo
That type of light only provides UVB. Not any heat. It's a standard 18" fixture from Walmart with an 18" UVB reptile tube from a pet shop. You can get the entire thing from a pet shop. But I'll repeat, do not buy the screw in compact CFL bulb that they will attempt to sell you. Get the strip florescent type.
Thanks, I feel terrible that I didn't know this sooner. I hope the turtle will be ok and not have any growing problems from this. Its winter in mo right now, just had snow and it's getting down to the low teens some nights so I won't be putting him/her outside anytime soon but I'll be gping to get that light tomorrow

Tember-the-turtle

mo
It wont be harmed by no UV for a few days as long as there is heat and food.
I just wanted to help you get the correct type of U.V. lamp.
Pet shops push those spiral types and they have been linked to eye injuries.
I appreciate it very much, I misunderstood earlier. All of you have really been a big help. Thanks so much

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
You have a hatchling box turtle that is eating and that is a major part of achieving success. Don't worry too much about variety at this point, just keep it eating the wiggly stuff and growing, as you go along you can try introducing other foods. I like to get my turtles started on commercial foods along with the worms and pill bugs: Omega One, Saki-Hikari and Mazuri are some good choices and supply a wide range of nutrients. Calcium is important for turtle growth and is supplied to some extent via the commercial foods but can also be introduced by gut loading crickets, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches and hornworms with leafy greens like dandelion, mustard and turnip greens. Keep doing what is working, but know that you can feed your box turtle while it is still in the water.

I do provide UVB for my young turtles, but I think UVB is really a "nice to have" for box turtle hatchlings. In nature, they are hiding under clumps of grass and leaf litter during their first years and are exposed to very little sunlight. If you keep them warm, wet and eating high calcium foods they will grow to the point where you can start worrying about UVB exposure.

Tember-the-turtle

mo
Thanks, I have a tendency to bring in animals in need but it's usually cats or dogs, I've never had a turtle or even thought about having one but now that I do I want to make sure is well taken care of. I usually just help them cross the road but seeing the cat bat at the poor thing I couldn't leave it and now I'm attached to it like I am to my dogs and want to make sure it's healthy. Thanks everyone for having patients with me and helping out. Great group of people :)

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas
Glad to bump into you on forum! You're in the right place,

I don't think anyone posted this yet, Beginners Mistakes, it's essential to creating the right enclosure!

The care guide found on your species sub forum should have all the necessities to keeping your baby happy and healthy!

As others mentioned the UVB is a must. Afterwards, maybe consider planning an alternative enclosure? I don't have a box turtle, but I assume that like most tortoise hatchling they'll do well in an alternative to an aquarium! (Check out closed chambers!) I do read that they need semi-aquatic, I've made a closed chamber enclosure from a rubbermaid tub, which is inexpensive, and you could adapt it to your babies needs easily.

Welcome!:)

Last edited:

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
I think for someone who rescued a turtle on the spur of the moment, you have done GREAT collecting the equipment and supplies. I can see you are continuing to study too. Tember is a lucky boy. At some point, you will run into some one who will lecture you about reptiles not having emotions. Pfft. I love my tort and I am certain she is fond of me. Enjoy your Tember and thank you for rescuing him.

Eggsy

Fredericksburg
So, I noticed that folks are giving you tips on the lighting but not necessarily explaining why it's so important.
Basking lights provide warmth and help regulate the turtles body temperature.
UVA light (daylight spectrum light) helps with keeping your turtle happy, encouraging them to eat, and when the time is right breeding.
UVB light helps the turtle produce Vitamin D3, which is very important for turtle shell and bone development.

There's more info about just lighting at https://www.myturtlecam.com/lighting.php

Tember-the-turtle

mo
Thanks guys, I had no idea that an aquarium might not be the right choice and I also didn't know the lights were wrong, I was changing them every 12 hrs thinking that that's where he/she would get uva and uvb so glad I learned before it could do any harm that they werent. Also the turtle might not care about me like a normal pet would but I care enough for the both of us. Just seeing him/her grow and do well is all I need. I feel almost like I have read (not here) things that say "example" is good and then the next site I go on says that "example" is bad so im glad I found this site and im getting answers that I can reply to and ask questions about.

Tember-the-turtle

mo
Glad to bump into you on forum! You're in the right place,

I don't think anyone posted this yet, Beginners Mistakes, it's essential to creating the right enclosure!

The care guide found on your species sub forum should have all the necessities to keeping your baby happy and healthy!

As others mentioned the UVB is a must. Afterwards, maybe consider planning an alternative enclosure? I don't have a box turtle, but I assume that like most tortoise hatchling they'll do well in an alternative to an aquarium! (Check out closed chambers!) I do read that they need semi-aquatic, I've made a closed chamber enclosure from a rubbermaid tub, which is inexpensive, and you could adapt it to your babies needs easily.

Welcome!:)
Thanks I'm glad to have these, I dont think I would have found them on my own.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
This is the best place to get your answers. Most people on this forum are very knowledgeable and willing to help you get everything right. If it were not for this forum, many of torts and turtles would have die long ago, including mine. Because I get my info strictly from here, mytorts are doing really well, even laying eggs.