Help designing Outdoor Enclosure

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hi, I am planning to finally build my outdoor enclosure this year for my box turtles & one for a Russian tortoise. I picked an area that gets morning and early afternoon sun.We live in a wooded area so lots of shade even though we have acres to work with. I live in western Pa so concerned about raccoons. I would love help to design a safe enclosure for them against predators while allowing lots of sunshine and the design not blocking the sun. I have searched the group but still insecure on which way to go. Thanks

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Hmm I've seen some ideas on here where they make maybe a 2-3ft wooden fence.Then they string a electric wire on top of the fence to shock the predators if they try to jump in. Also you could put an electric fence around some of your property to have a double layer of protection. Not sure how well it works especially with hawks and eagles but I saw it in a video for a rescue on here. Can't remember who though. I've also seen people use chain link fence with a net top to keep out preditors. Dont russans and boxes climb pretty well though? Not sure on that one. What were you thinking on doing and maybe i can help expand on your ideas. I think the location is good though. If you don't really think the birds will be a big deal with carrying off the tort and turtle I would think to go with electric fences to keep out the raccoons with a wood fence.
I've never had to deal with raccoons, Russians, or box turtles. So take my advice with a grain of salt lol

Last edited:

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Hmm I've seen some ideas on here where they make maybe a 2-3ft wooden fence.Then they string a electric wire on top of the fence to shock the predators if they try to jump in. Also you could put an electric fence around some of your property to have a double layer of protection. Not sure how well it works especially with hawks and eagles but I saw it in a video for a rescue on here. Can't remember who though. I've also seen people use chain link fence with a net top to keep out preditors. Dont russans and boxes climb pretty well though? Not sure on that one. What were you thinking on doing and maybe i can help expand on your ideas. I think the location is good though. If you don't really think the birds will be a big deal with carrying off the tort and turtle I would think to go with electric fences to keep out the raccoons with a wood fence.
I've never had to deal with raccoons, Russians, or box turtles. So take my advice with a grain of salt lol
Thank you! I didn't think of the birds hmmm we have them too. Hawks always looking for our chickens. I guess I better make a covered enclosure. I appreciate your advice it helped.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I'm going to follow this Tread as i'm in the city but have a LARGE back yard to work with but we get raccoons and Skunks. I don't think the Skunks are a problem for the tortoises but for sure the raccoons will be.

By building walls that go 10-12" below the ground it will discourage the skunks and raccoons from digging in and my box turtle from digging out. i'm waiting for better weather before i start to build,

like you i worry about keeping things out, I thought about using lattice but worry it could block to much sun. also i would like to build it tall enough to walk into but the cost could be a factor.

please keep this updated and i would love to bounce ideas back and forth and see what you have. I'm located in Canada and we are still getting snow flurries so i won't be building for another week or two