Help bullfrogs not hibernating

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi I found some bullfrogs in my pond that weren't hibernating and it took them out until I know what to do with them. It gets below 32 degrees and they were still not hibernating because my pond has a rubber lining. Currently I have them inside in a bucket until I get info on them. Should I put them in a glass terrarium or let them back in the pond? I really don't want them to die so please help :(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Supper!....;)

Just kidding .... in So.CAL right now Dec...we still have frog action at the Cove'.:shy:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm not really sure. I would google their needs. If they need to dig in and can't, I would not put them back in the pond. Mi would give them the environment they need to hibernate or bring them in the house and keep them warm and feed them.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Depending on how many you have, I would set them up in a 20 gallon long with moist peat moss and 2 large bowls filled with water for them to soak daily. You'll need a heat source underneath to keep them fairly warm and overhead lighting for heat and ambient lighting as well. Try and keep the temp 75-85 most of the time. They will probably eat crickets and Dubio Roaches pretty well. I would suggest feeding them in a separate tub with a lid so they don't eat the substrate. When the spring comes, release them. I
have river toads that have done really well that require less lighting then you will need. The key is providing plenty of water but a place for them to get out of the water as well, and not escape.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Here is a picture of an invasive bullfrog a friends son found here in Oregon.

Good Lord, that's a BIG frog!!!:p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
I was blown away at how big it was. Probably grew up eating ducklings.

WOW WEEZ Ken ....dat is a big ol' Grand Daddy .... ya sure ya don't have a few missing kids ? :rolleyes::p

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If they're wild I would put them back . They know what they are doing . Is your pond heated maybe that is why there hanging around your pond . Wild animals belong in the wild .

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
ascott said:
How big are the bullfrogs you found?

They are both around full grown.

deadheadvet said:
Depending on how many you have, I would set them up in a 20 gallon long with moist peat moss and 2 large bowls filled with water for them to soak daily. You'll need a heat source underneath to keep them fairly warm and overhead lighting for heat and ambient lighting as well. Try and keep the temp 75-85 most of the time. They will probably eat crickets and Dubio Roaches pretty well. I would suggest feeding them in a separate tub with a lid so they don't eat the substrate. When the spring comes, release them. I
have river toads that have done really well that require less lighting then you will need. The key is providing plenty of water but a place for them to get out of the water as well, and not escape.

Thanks for the help, I will post pictures of them once they are in there tank. Thanks, Ben