Help! Baby Hermann Tortoise hatchling

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
Hello! I am looking for some help. A few months back, we found out our tortoise laid eggs. We have had these two hermann tortoise for 6 years and did not expect one would be a male and one would be female.. anyways long story short they laid eggs. I purchased an incubator and 2 months later one baby tortoise hatched! The yok sak is no longer there, so I believe it had already absorbed it, but there is still an opening..? Is the baby ready to be moved to another enclosure? If so, would it be okay if i just put wet paper towel inside the enclosure just until that hole closes? What substrate would you guys recommend for the babies? Also, would the baby tortoise need a night time heat lamp or will it be fine with the basking light & and uv light in the daytime? Please give me your advice as this is completely new to me and did not expect this at all. Thank you !

saleena.lewis

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello! I am looking for some help. A few months back, we found out our tortoise laid eggs. We have had these two hermann tortoise for 6 years and did not expect one would be a male and one would be female.. anyways long story short they laid eggs. I purchased an incubator and 2 months later one baby tortoise hatched! The yok sak is no longer there, so I believe it had already absorbed it, but there is still an opening..? Is the baby ready to be moved to another enclosure? If so, would it be okay if i just put wet paper towel inside the enclosure just until that hole closes? What substrate would you guys recommend for the babies? Also, would the baby tortoise need a night time heat lamp or will it be fine with the basking light & and uv light in the daytime? Please give me your advice as this is completely new to me and did not expect this at all. Thank you !
Could you send a pictures of the torts belly? If their is still an opening then they should still be kept in the incubator. What state do you live in? Will you be keeping it indoors? If the room that you keep it in is over 70° you will not need a nighttime heat bulb. If the yolk sac is fully absorbed you could use cypress mulch as a substrate.

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
Could you send a pictures of the torts belly? If their is still an opening then they should still be kept in the incubator. What state do you live in? Will you be keeping it indoors? If the room that you keep it in is over 70° you will not need a nighttime heat bulb. If the yolk sac is fully absorbed you could use cypress mulch as a substrate.

Should I keep it in the incubator until it closes? It will be kept indoors. I live in CA, at night it should be around 70 degree.

Attachments

• IMG_9325.jpg
    IMG_9325.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 69

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
I would definitely keep him in the incubator until it is fully closed. Needs a few more days in there.
Oh perfect ! Thank you, I was trying to do some research and see what I should do but I found nothing.. thank you for your help! I am going to monitor the thermometer to see if the room is above 70 degree.

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
No problem! You seem like a great tortoise owner. Good luck with your tort! :)
Thank You, the whole baby thing caught us off guard. I freaked out a little bit, but after your comment I feel much better. Once the hole closes hopefully in a couple more days. This baby hatched super fast... just 2 days ago i checked on the eggs, and there was nothing, yesterday we saw a little hole and its tiny feet was sticking out. Today it completely came out of its shell and the yok sak is absorbed. I thought it takes a few days for them to absorb the yok ?

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
No problem! You seem like a great tortoise owner. Good luck with your tort! :)
Sorry one more question, It is currently in a container inside the incubator. I have removed the vermiculite and replaced it with a wet paper towel. is this okay?

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Sorry one more question, It is currently in a container inside the incubator. I have removed the vermiculite and replaced it with a wet paper towel. is this okay?
Yes. That is fine. Just make sure the paper towels are not constantly like dripping wet because you don't want the tort sitting in the water. You also don't want to give him too much room though just enough to walk a little bit and turn around from all directions to prevent him from flipping over. Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
Yes. That is fine. Just make sure the paper towels are not constantly like dripping wet because you don't want the tort sitting in the water. You also don't want to give him too much room though just enough to walk a little bit and turn around from all directions to prevent him from flipping over. Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions
Thank you !

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
Ugh I am so sorry to keep bothering you.. When do I start feeding it food? Do I feed it while its in the incubator still or do I feed it when the hole is closed and i move it to the enclosure?

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Ugh I am so sorry to keep bothering you.. When do I start feeding it food? Do I feed it while its in the incubator still or do I feed it when the hole is closed and i move it to the enclosure?
You can offer some food now. Don't be too concerned if he doesn't start eating right away. It may take him a little while. But once he absorbed the yolk sac he should definitely be eating. But I would just try feeding some greens.

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
You can offer some food now. Don't be too concerned if he doesn't start eating right away. It may take him a little while. But once he absorbed the yolk sac he should definitely be eating. But I would just try feeding some greens.
okay I will do that. Thanks again.

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
Hi Saleena, Update, the baby tort hole is fully closed, we moved him to his new enlosure yesterday. Theres fresh water and food for him. He is mostly burrowed. My question is do we need to dig him up to feed him and soak him or leave him alone? Thank You!

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hi Saleena, Update, the baby tort hole is fully closed, we moved him to his new enlosure yesterday. Theres fresh water and food for him. He is mostly burrowed. My question is do we need to dig him up to feed him and soak him or leave him alone? Thank You!
I would soak him and feed him daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what you should do now. This is in the top of the "Tortoise Breeding" section:

Here is even more detail, pictures and examples. Different species, but the same principals apply:

Once its ready to move to an enclosure, here is the care info:

Congrats on the new baby! Your adults really should not be living together as a pair. That is very stressful on a lone female.

ITSJOYCEDUH

5 Year Member
Here is what you should do now. This is in the top of the "Tortoise Breeding" section:

Here is even more detail, pictures and examples. Different species, but the same principals apply:

Once its ready to move to an enclosure, here is the care info:

Congrats on the new baby! Your adults really should not be living together as a pair. That is very stressful on a lone female.
Hello! Thank you for your post! They are most definitely helpful! Thank you for your advice, we will try to build or get another enclosure for the female.