Help ASAP Please. Is my tortoise dead?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Have you tried to gently pull on a limb or two to see if it pulls it further inside? Or tapping the shell lightly to see if the tortoise retreats further inside? Of course all needs to be dome gently as to not harm the tortoise but to see if there is a response of some sort.
I've tried gently pulling his leg. He didn't pull it back. I'm loosing hope that he is alive :(

Randi

Canada
Oops, I was too slow while typing my response. Maybe try a few more times and see what happens. Then I'd put the tortoise back in the enclosure as it would normally be and wait for awhile. Try to remain hopeful.

Kori5

I think he is still scared. If he was dead, be would be limp already. Have you checked gently his plastron for rigor mortis?

Kori5

Yeah I think that's normal.
Nope, I didn't see any blood or bruising, everything looked fine
Well that is good. I've been searching the web for you and they say a dead tortoise should become stiff. So I really don't think he is dead. What I would do if I were you is call a reptile vet, explain him the situation and beg my parents to take me to him. In a case of emergency the vet should see you.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Well that is good. I've been searching the web for you and they say a dead tortoise should become stiff. So I really don't think he is dead. What I would do if I were you is call a reptile vet, explain him the situation and beg my parents to take me to him. In a case of emergency the vet should see you.
I will look for a recognised reptile vet near me. I just want a reaction, even if it's really small, just to give me hope :(

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I have left him with food next to him under his log. I know he won't eat but it is worth a try

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I'm so sorry you're going through this! I'm hoping for good news for both of you.