Help ASAP Please. Is my tortoise dead?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
This morning I found my Indian star upside down in his water. I don't think his head was under but I got him out and he was unresponsive. I put him under his log and he then started to stretch out his legs. Now he is totally tucked away and seems unresponsive. He is still warm and is not limp nor stiff. I don't know what to do. I can't bear to loose my baby :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This morning I found my Indian star upside down in his water. I don't think his head was under but I got him out and he was unresponsive. I put him under his log and he then started to stretch out his legs. Now he is totally tucked away and seems unresponsive. He is still warm and is not limp nor stiff. I don't know what to do. I can't bear to loose my baby :(

Supporting his head to prevent whiplash, raise him up above your head and swing him down to the ground fast, in the position so that when he's towards the ground, his head is pointing to the ground. Do this several times. This helps to get all the water out of him.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Supporting his head to prevent whiplash, raise him up above your head and swing him down to the ground fast, in the position so that when he's towards the ground, his head is pointing to the ground. Do this several times. This helps to get all the water out of him.
Ok thank you. I don't think that his head was in the water as he has such a high domed shell and I always make sure that the water is below his head level

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Is there any movement? Can you post a picture.
No movement :(
However, I couldn't get any movement this morning when I tried but then he moved when I put him back.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467911194.658791.jpg
I think he's gone. :(
It happened so quickly :(

Kori5

He could be in a shock. I wouldn't wait. Sorry if I sound pushy but I would take him to the vet asap.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
He could be in a shock. I wouldn't wait. Sorry if I sound pushy but I would take him to the vet asap.
There is no emergency vet near and the normal vets are closed. Is there anything I can do to relieve stress until the morning? :(

Kori5

I honestly don't know :(. I would leave him in a warm place and wait. I'm here so PM me if you need someone to wait with you.

Rue

Canada
I am keeping my fingers crossed. ..hopefully he is just stressed still.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Is it possible that it could be stress?
I have heard that they normally go stiff when they die and he is not stiff or limp. I truly hope that he's just stressed :(
So sorry to hear this. Let's hope for the best, and wait. If you need to talk PM me: I am all listening ears.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I am so sorry this happened, have you tried to offer him food? I, too, don't believe he's dead. It might just be the stress. Can you try to open his mouth? If you can, you may want to try to see if you can get him to cough out some water. :( I'm truly sorry.