Help/advice with Russian babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGargano

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a pair of baby Russian tortoises (male and female) from a pet store in Florida and had them shipped to my home in NJ. They are the cutest things, barely over 2" long, and doing very well so far.

The problem I am having is that there doesn't seem to be much information online regarding the specific needs of baby Russians, only adults, so I really hope someone out there can give me some sound advice on what's best for these little guys.

Staring with their enclosure- it's a former guinea pig cage, measuring 37"W x 18"D x 19"H.

The substrate is 70% organic potting soil, 30% coconut coir, about 2-3" deep. I started with cypress mulch but found it too difficult to keep moist, which I read is important for babies. I then tried a 50/50 mix of play sand and coconut coir, but the sand seemed to messy and potentially dangerous, so I switched to the potting soil/coco coir. It doesn't seem to be holding the moisture like it did the first few days. I misted the entire substrate twice today and it dried out rather quickly, particularly on the hot side and on top of the humid hide, which is closest to the lamp.

The bulb is a 160 watt Exo Terra Solar Glo Mercury Vapor bulb, which is 17" away from the lowest point in the substrate, 16" from the clay/terracotta half tunnel, and 14" away from the top of the humid hide.

Temps:
Cool side: 70-75 during the day, 70's at night with the bulb off
Hot side: 90-95 under the light, 80's in the surrounding area, 70's at night with the bulb off.
Humid hide (plastic storage container filled with coconut coir and sphagnum moss)- 80% humidity, daytime temps of 78-80, nighttime temps of 70-72.

I set up the humid hide yesterday and the male seems to love it. He stayed in there all day and night yesterday and I had to pull him out manually this afternoon so he could eat. After eating, he walked around a bit, then went right back into the hide and has been there the rest of the day. The female spent last night in the hide, came out this morning on her own, ate, basked all day, then returned to the hide about an hour before the heat lamp turns off. Is this behavior normal or should I be concerned?

I soak them 2-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes, feed them daily for 20-30 minutes on a very varied diet of spring mix and just about every other green leafy vegetable I could get my hands on that's recommended for Russians. I'm hoping to add some live plants to the enclosure for them to snack on as well, once I determine whether or not to keep my current substrate.

Hopefully I don't sound like an paranoid, overreacting parent, but these guys are so little I just want to make sure I'm giving them the best possible care I can, so I appreciate any advise or comments.

Attachments

• 2011-10-21_10-26-28_182.jpg
    2011-10-21_10-26-28_182.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 2011-10-21_10-30-00_918.jpg
    2011-10-21_10-30-00_918.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 2011-11-14_22-22-35_390.jpg
    2011-11-14_22-22-35_390.jpg
    967.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2011-11-14_22-22-52_668.jpg
    2011-11-14_22-22-52_668.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • 2011-11-14_22-23-04_128.jpg
    2011-11-14_22-23-04_128.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally speaking, baby Russian tortoises can be kept very much the same as adults but keeping their smaller body mass in mind when providing heat and moisture. Because of a smaller body mass baby tortoises can dehydrate much more rapidly than adults, especially when under extreme heat.

The information that you posted above is very good and it looks like you've done your research! The only suggestions I can offer is that while the current enclosure works well, keep in mind that Russians are excellent climbers and escape artists. You may have to replace that wire top with higher, solid sides very soon. They can not only climb that and end up falling but may also be able to soon be able to squeeze in between the bars in some spots.

The daytime temperatures are very good, maybe a bit warmer under the basking light as the tortoises get a bit older. Night time temperatures a bit warm. Most Northern Testudo do better with a 15-20 degree temperature differential from day to night.

I don't want to be the "party pooper" but your tortoises are probably a bit too young yet to accurately determine the gender of. Young Russians are difficult to sex until they reach about 3" and up. Even then late maturing males can be mistaken for females. I'd go with the male/female combination, but keep checking them as they grow!

I have read your post thoroughly hree times and I have to tell you again that I am really impressed with your information and detail! It's great to see!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Sounds to me like you are doing a pretty good job...my only suggestions would be that 1. the guinea pig cage is harder to hold in humidity, a glass tank or storage bin/tub might hold your humidity better and you could also cover the top to keep humidity in. And 2. I might try to keep your nighttime temps a little warmer in the enclosure, especially in the humid hide, if that's where they are staying.

MGargano

5 Year Member
Great! Thanks for the reply and info! This forum has been a great source of information. Also I apologize for the duplicate threads. Is there a way for the MODs to merge the two?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi MGargano:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! (Please look for a PM from me)

May we know your name and are you in New Jersey?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good suggestions above, and it sure is nice to see a new member who has such a good set up right off the bat! Your torts are both very lucky (but GB is right, might be a bit longer before you are sure about the sex).

MGargano

5 Year Member
I upgraded the enclosure today to a 52" x 20" x 11.5" Christmas tree storage box and added a hanging 24" Repti Glo 20w 10.0 UVB light to supplement the 160 watt Exo Terra Solar Glo Mercury Vapor bulb I have for basking. I also added a buried log to serve as a cool hide, as well as some safe live plants for snacking.

2011-12-02_13-26-46_891.jpg

2011-12-02_13-26-56_798.jpg

2011-12-02_13-27-11_624.jpg

2011-12-02_13-42-06_721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.