Help/Advice wanted

OrangeSpider

Location (City and/or State)
BAYPORT
Hi! First post. I don't want to get tooooo into the backstory, but just enough to help with any feedback from you guys :) I recently became the caretaker of 2 tortoises very unexpectedly, and for how long is kind of known, but perhaps I might be keeping them. Anyways, I truly am an animal lover in general, and want to give these guys an enjoyable "retirement" as I call it. So these 2 boys (Biggie and Smalls) I am told, are around 30 years old. They had been living in this aquarium tank, and I was told to basically just make sure they have water/food.

BiggieSmalls - aquarium .jpg

I really could not take how narrow the aquarium was, so the first thing I did once I realized I was going to have them for a few months at least, is I decided to try to re-purpose a bookcase to give them more space. I also added some substrate, and a light fixture (the light is not pictured below):

BiggieSmalls - bookcase.jpg

The main reason I am posting is because Biggie got a white spot on his shell. You can see it in the top 2 pictures, but more closely in the picture below. It seems to be getting worse / I see a small one beside it now too. My only guess is that especially in the aquarium (where I first saw the spot), Smalls used to always corner and hump / stack Biggie. This has gone down TREMENDOUSLY since they have more space, FYI. Like, I actually don't see it happen at all anymore. And also, I do know that it is suggested that 2 breeds/species should not share an enclosure, but this is how they have always lived and came to me. It doesn't seem to be an issue (anymore).

20200826_145929.jpg

Here is a closer picture of Smalls just to say hi:

Smalls.jpg

So, that's my story. Any advice on the white spot? Shell care? Any other info you guys would need? They were kept in room temperature conditions 24/7, with just "human-room" lighting during the day. I now have them in my sun room, so they get some natural light and I added a light fixture that i turn on during the day. But I still have a lot to learn about temperature and ... moisture? Also, the green lining is a nightmare, so any substrate ideas would be appreciated. Basically, anything - I am here to learn! But mostly concerned about the spot lol :) Please be nice though, I am trying my best in this situation, I promise.

Quick Edit: I have been in touch with the owner about all the changes I made, and told the owner about the white spot.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Did the owner indicate what type of "tortoises" these are?
I'm thinking "turtles" would be more appropriate.
And I bet they would both appreciate a soak (separately).

OrangeSpider

BAYPORT
Did the owner indicate what type of "tortoises" these are?
I'm thinking "turtles" would be more appropriate.
And I bet they would both appreciate a soak (separately).

No, the owner said they did not know what kind of tortoises they were. I just assumed Tortoise was correct based on their word. I have 2 water bowls in the enclosure that they sometimes sit in for a bit, usually to use the bathroom it seems. I could google how to soak them beyond that, though! Thank you.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
No, the owner said they did not know what kind of tortoises they were. I just assumed Tortoise was correct based on their word. I have 2 water bowls in the enclosure that they sometimes sit in for a bit, usually to use the bathroom it seems. I could google how to soak them beyond that, though! Thank you.
You're better off with the information here on the Forum. :)
Let's see if we can get a good identification on what kinds of turtles these are.
@Yvonne G @Markw84 @enchilada @Toddrickfl1

OrangeSpider

BAYPORT
Thank you! I am happy to take more pictures of their legs/feet if that helps, just let me know!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The smaller one looks like a Box turtle and the bigger one im pretty sure is an Ornate Wood Turtle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are box turtles and should not be housed together. They need a water dish big enough to get into. They need a natural substrate all over not just a corner. They need uvb light and if possible an outdoor enclosure for warm months and each a bigger indoor enclosure.
If you don't keep them do not give that aquarium to the new owners, that was just animal abuse keeping them in it. Thankfully you knew better and made a change.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're both full grown. Smalls is a male three toe box turtle (terrapene carolina triunguis), and Biggie is an ornate Central American wood turtle (Rhinoclemmys).They really should have separate enclosures because they require different environments.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
You can soak each of them in warm-lukewarm water (range of 85F-95F), refresh the water when it starts cooling down. Both species can swim, but they aren't fully aquatic by any means.

For these turtles, you can raise the water level in the soaking container to the top of the carapace or even a bit higher. Make sure the turtle can hold its head above the water without effort. Keep a lifeguard on duty with the higher than normal water level (higher than recommended with a tortoise). Otherwise, you need to stick with a lower water level (as for tortoises) in case the turtle manages to flip over, so it can hold its head above water if it can't right itself. (It's more fun to hang around and watch swimming practice.)

Don't worry if the turtle pulls its head underwater and keeps it there for a while. They can hold their breath much better than we do! :)

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
A female ornate wood turtle and a male three toed box turtle .
That enclosure is so inappropriate that even beard dragon can’t stand it . I don’t think they’ve been living there for 30 years , because in this case they’d either been dead long time ago Or have extremely deformed shells /overgrown beaks and nails

——————-
Which state you’re at ? They do pretty well outdoors in warmer weather.
For indoor enclosure, you can get pond liner or a large shower curtain to make a waterproof bottom for this bookcase . Then do half water /half land with heavy vegetation .

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
You can soak each of them in warm-lukewarm water (range of 85F-95F), refresh the water when it starts cooling down. Both species can swim, but they aren't fully aquatic by any means.

For these turtles, you can raise the water level in the soaking container to the top of the carapace or even a bit higher. Make sure the turtle can hold its head above the water without effort. Keep a lifeguard on duty with the higher than normal water level (higher than recommended with a tortoise). Otherwise, you need to stick with a lower water level (as for tortoises) in case the turtle manages to flip over, so it can hold its head above water if it can't right itself. (It's more fun to hang around and watch swimming practice.)

Don't worry if the turtle pulls its head underwater and keeps it there for a while. They can hold their breath much better than we do! :)

it might surprise you that ornate wood turtles are pretty good at swimming.
mine strolling down the bottom of my pond everyday and sleeps in water sometimes .
573EDC52-4764-446F-9029-FBD324C5F9BE.jpeg