Help/Advice Needed - MOUTH INJURY!

Tom Smyth

Hello guys,

I'm very new to this forum, so I would just like to start off by saying a big HELLO!

I have a 2 year old Russian tortoise. A couple of months ago he hurt the left hand side of his mouth, and a part of his skin/soft tissue fell off, creating a small hole. The injury seemed to have healed well and I didn't think anything more of it. However, just recently he has rubbed his face again against his hide and caused the injury to re-open. I have attached a picture of what it currently looks like.

Does anyone have any advice or information? Has this happened to their tortoise?

He seems to be perfectly happy and still eating well. I just wanted a few opinions before I take him to the vet.

Thanks you in advance!

IMG_0143.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tom, and welcome to the forum!

Am I to understand that this is in the corner of his mouth? So when he opens his mouth it moves the injury? If this is the case, this is a very hard location to heal. Try to keep it moist and don't allow a scab to form. If you keep Neosporin on it, it will help keep it moist. Cut up his food into tiny pieces so he doesn't have to open his mouth real big to eat.

It might not be a bad idea to take him to the vet and get him on a antibiotic regimine to keep it from getting infected.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with the above

Tom Smyth

Thank you for your replies! That's correct, the injury is on the corner on his mouth and does seem to get moved. Neosporin isn't available in the UK, but I will find a suitable alternative.

I think I will make an appointment with the vets next week.

Thanks for your advice!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

And wishes for a speedy recovery to your gorgeous tort.