Help -Adopted an adult Hermann's today

Tortoisegirltexas

Hi,
My daughter and I have been researching tortoises and in the process came across an adult Hermann's tortoise on craigslist. When we found out he was feeding him iceberg lettuce and meal worms and what he would eat in the yard we bought him, really before we were ready for a tortoise.

He has not had a heat lamp or a light and was being kept in a small glass aquarium. His owner would let him out in the yard to run around, but I don't know how often.

I would like any advice you have. I have a 4x8 garden bed that I placed him in today with an area covered completely with wood, an area with a screen on it and an area with screen and a shade cloth and provided him with a saucer of water, his old food bowl and his hidey log from his aquarium. He partially buried himself in the darkest corner. I brought him inside for the night because I wasn't able to finish the locking screen for his enclosure and I think it is still too cold for him.

Does he need a heat lamp at night in the house? The house is kept at 70 F during the night and I have closed off the A/C vent to his room.

Once I get a locking lid on his new house, can he spend the night outside once it is warmer at night? Do I need to give him a heated space outside even in the summer?

What can I do to help him switch to a better diet? I have read about mixing in the new food with the old food and I tried putting some squash leaves, rose petals, cilantro and dandelion in with his iceberg lettuce, but he hasn't touched it. Should I continue to offer him meal worms and mix those in with weeds and leafy greens? Should expect him to not eat for several days to a week?

I will post pictures of him tomorrow and I would love to get opinions on how he looks. He doesn't have any discharge from his nose but he seems to pant when I pick him up (which I only did to put him in his outside enclosure today and to move him into his house tonight).

I am so overwhelmed and I know I shouldn't have impulse bought him, but I felt so sorry for him and wanted to help him out. I may not know much about tortoises now, but I am willing to learn what I need to for him to be healthy and happy.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi and welcome to the Hermann's Tortoise family! I'm sorry to hear the poor guy/girl was in such poor care. I'm glad you brought him/her home. Hopefully s/he is healthy. Yes, mealworms aren't part of a Hermann's diet. What have you fed him so far? Please keep in mind that there are many garden plants that could be toxic to tortoises, so it's best if you also post detailed pictures of the garden area where s/he is in. The experts can tell you which plants should be pulled and which ones you can feed.

Garden weeds: common mallow, plantain, dandelion, purslane, common sow thistle.

Common plants that are safe: petunias, pansies, silver mallow, hibiscus, coneflowers (echinacea).

Here's a website for plants where you can check for their edibility/toxicity: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/search/#.WRblg-5ybYU

We also have a Plant Identification page, where you can post pictures of the ones you don't know. The experts will ID them for you.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I just noticed that you posted this in early May. I hope your tortoises is doing OK.

To answer some of your other questions... Re: Temperature in the house, 70°F is fine during the night. As long as his sleeping area is dry and s/he has some cover/hiding places. Heat lamp and UVB light will be necessary, if the tort is kept indoors most of the time.

The panting may be due to stress, as most don't like being picked up. That said, a vet visit might be in order since his/her previous living conditions & diet were less than ideal.

I hope he's eating again. Usually, animals go thru some shock when they change environments.

Tortoisegirltexas

I just noticed that you posted this in early May. I hope your tortoises is doing OK.

To answer some of your other questions... Re: Temperature in the house, 70°F is fine during the night. As long as his sleeping area is dry and s/he has some cover/hiding places. Heat lamp and UVB light will be necessary, if the tort is kept indoors most of the time.

The panting may be due to stress, as most don't like being picked up. That said, a vet visit might be in order since his/her previous living conditions & diet were less than ideal.

I hope he's eating again. Usually, animals go thru some shock when they change environments.

Tortoisegirltexas

Thank you so much for the response. We are doing much better! He started eating about three days after I posted. We are feeding him dandelion, plantain, dollar weed, squash leaves, zinnia leaves, curly kale, a little romaine and arugula (no more iceberg!). We also offer him ZooMed tortoise diet and sprinkle all with calcium powder. He is eating very, very well and has been having BM's(i never thought I would be excited about tortoise poop!).

On sunny days, we have a 4x8 enclosure(I pulled all the things I couldn't identify) with screened top he stays in and we bring him in at night to sleep in the aquarium he came in. We put cypress mulch in it and he has hidden hole. He seems to be adjusting great and doesn't seem to be so stressed when we are around anymore. We spend a lot of time hand feeding him. :) He is so charming

I will post a picture when I figure out how to do it. lol.

Thank you so much for the plant identification link. I am going to post some of the plants that we have, for sure.

Tortoisegirltexas

100_1002.jpg Here he is. Does he look healthy? IMG_2039.jpg We are not feeding him the iceberg anymore, not that he is eating better food.

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
I've seen lots of tortoises which people supposedly 'love and care for' that looks a hell of a lot worse than that. Take good care of him and he will be fine.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We are doing much better! He started eating about three days after I posted. We are feeding him dandelion, plantain, dollar weed, squash leaves, zinnia leaves, curly kale, a little romaine and arugula (no more iceberg!). We also offer him ZooMed tortoise diet and sprinkle all with calcium powder. He is eating very, very well and has been having BM's(i never thought I would be excited about tortoise poop!).

What a beautiful tortoise!

I notice you mention sprinkling calcium, is that every day? That's likely too much for a grown male, unless you are confident he's had a deficiency? If he doesn't, you might refer to the Hermann's care sheet one more time.

Here is what the author, HermanniChris, has to say about the supplmentation he provides to his many tortoises:

For calcium intake, I choose to not force it on the tortoises. The all too familiar practice of dusting each meal with calcium powder can cause long term problems down the road. Instead, a constant supply of cuttle-bone is kept in every enclosure with tortoises of all ages. The animals will nibble the bone as they feel the need. Adults, particularly females, will use the cuttle bone more often than males or neonates. Only occasionally will we dust the food items with powder. In the case of growing youngsters and gravid females we may do this twice weekly. Phosphorus free calcium powder and cuttle-bone can be purchased at most pet stores or in bulk online.
Again, wow, how beautiful that tortoise is; you've done great work.

Tortoisegirltexas

What a beautiful tortoise!

I notice you mention sprinkling calcium, is that every day? That's likely too much for a grown male, unless you are confident he's had a deficiency? If he doesn't, you might refer to the Hermann's care sheet one more time.

Here is what the author, HermanniChris, has to say about the supplmentation he provides to his many tortoises:

For calcium intake, I choose to not force it on the tortoises. The all too familiar practice of dusting each meal with calcium powder can cause long term problems down the road. Instead, a constant supply of cuttle-bone is kept in every enclosure with tortoises of all ages. The animals will nibble the bone as they feel the need. Adults, particularly females, will use the cuttle bone more often than males or neonates. Only occasionally will we dust the food items with powder. In the case of growing youngsters and gravid females we may do this twice weekly. Phosphorus free calcium powder and cuttle-bone can be purchased at most pet stores or in bulk online.
Again, wow, how beautiful that tortoise is; you've done great work.

Thanks for the info. I actually was only remembering to do it a couple of times a week (I think I had a mental block because, I wondered at the need because the foods he is eating are high in calcium naturally). It so confusing because a lot of the information seems to be for growing tortoises. I will reread the sheet.

Tortoisegirltexas

I've seen lots of tortoises which people supposedly 'love and care for' that looks a hell of a lot worse than that. Take good care of him and he will be fine.

We are trying our best. I thought he looked pretty decent for what the owner described as his care. He was very vague about how long he had him and couldn't tell me an age. Since it was from Craigslist, there is no telling what his history really is. He's 5 1/2 inches long. I am going to try and post a picture of beak. I think it might be a little long.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks for the info. I actually was only remembering to do it a couple of times a week (I think I had a mental block because, I wondered at the need because the foods he is eating are high in calcium naturally). It so confusing because a lot of the information seems to be for growing tortoises. I will reread the sheet.

The care sheet for Hermanns is REALLY long! :)

Tortoisegirltexas

Here is a close up of his face. Does his beak look normal? Also, I was wondering if the shape of his shell was okay. The rear end looks like it tucks under just a little and I wasn't sure if that was normal. One more question - Do his legs look normal? it almost looks like the scales are coming off in some spots. close up of face.jpgShell from behind.jpgback leg.jpg ugh, I haven't quite figured out the best way to post stuff.

Tortoisegirltexas

And, thank you, we think he is beautiful too!

surfergirl

He looks great and normal to me and his shaped is just like my male hermann. if you feed him on rocks and or clay saucers his beak should trim up a bit more naturally over time and stay that way. Plus the cuttlebone helps too.
It does not look that long to me.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Beak looks fine. Sounds like you're doing a good job.

The leg pictures are too blurry to see what you are describing. Can you post a larger, clearer pic?

TiffytheTort

Looks great despite his previous care. Your doing great with the diet! (Wish my tort would eat all of that) he looks great, well done!