help a newbie hatchling owner

dezaxatul

Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

I just got my first testudo hermanni hermanni! He is 1 month and 7 days old. His name is Mojo and actually I don't know whether it's a he or a she, but I'll assume it's a he.

Would you be so kind to shed some light on some of my fears?

1. he sleeps almost non-stop, is that normal? He even looks sleepy, he yawns a lot, lol. When i first got him he was very active for 2-3h, swept his entire enclosure (probably to figure whether it's safe or not) then settled in the basking area and became very passive. He sleeps most of the time with his head out, tilted on one side, almost like a dog. He sometimes moves his head in and out with his eyes closed (as if he was dreaming). Temp in the basking area is 31C, measured with a probe. Humidity varies, usually around 60%. I'm afraid that staying under the basking spot (100W UV-spot plus MVB from JBL) non-stop would hurt him. I've temporarily increased temp to 38C to see if he reacts and he moved a lille bit further so he seems to know what's going on around him (and i obviously turned the temp back down asap). Yet, he doesn't use his hide and doesn't venture outside of his basking area although the temps shouldnt go below 25C. What I must also tell you is that this basking light is the only light in his enclosure right now because the silly reptiglo tube failed after 3h of usage (so did the MVB and I can't return either of them). I've ordered another tube from Arcadia (heard they're the best) which should arrive shortly. However, in terms of ambiental light, it doesnt look dark to me.

2. I've had him for 2 days and i've soaked him 4 times so far. He didn't pee/poo yet. Is this normal? How often should he poo at this age?

3. He eats, but very little. Unfortunately, I can't estimate what little means.. I'd say that the size of the chunk of food that he was satisfied with was not much bigger than his head. It probably makes sense since he's so small? So far I've tried cabbage, carrot, cucumber (all of them cut in small pieces) and tortoise pellets from JBL - Herbil (but he does not apper to like them). I'll try to vary his diet ad much as possible.

4. His carapace appears to be asymmetrical in the back/posterior region (left side is flatter than the right side). There's a slight difference of only a few milimeters, but noticeable. It does not appear to have any ill effects (or maybe i didnt notice) and I was wondering whether this is normal and might get corrected as he grows? Should i do something? By the way should i give him any supplements at this age?

Sorry for the long post!
I will get back with phtos soon! ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have a great care sheet under the Hermanni section, read and follow. Babies do sleep a lot, if all temps and humidity, substrate and duet are correct, he should be fine. Double check them against the care sheet

dezaxatul

Bucharest, Romania
Thank you! I've read multiple care sheets online but I am following the one published by Chriss on this forum.
Yes, temps are correct, humidity is around 60% but I soak him 2 times per day. Lighting is probably dusk-like until the tube arrives (for me, it seems plenty of light but from what I've read so far, I understand that he might not consider it so). Will get that fixed shortly! :)
Is the shell normal? I don't know if you can tell from these photos but it is slightly flatter on the left side.

PS: white spots on his shell are leftovers from breeder's painted number.

Photo%2010-12-2016%2C%2009%2004%2037.jpg

Photo%2010-12-2016%2C%2009%2011%2049.jpg

dezaxatul

Bucharest, Romania
He finally did pee/poo and he also burrowed tonight. He seems fine but since I'm new to this I'm worried anyway because I want what's best for him (or her).
He is still yawning a lot (or doing something that looks like a yawn to me but might as well be a gasp) and I've also noticed clear bubbles on his nose from time to time. The bubbles are clear (not mucous) and I've seen them only twice or so (and I'm watching him almost non-stop). His environment (temp/humi) is fine, but he had a very long (and cold) journey before I got him. So I was thinking .. could he have a RI or I'm being paranoid?

Should I take him to a vet or wait?

Also, could someone please give me some insight regarding the asymmetrical-looking shell? I'm worried.
It's not soft. Probably elastic but I don't know for sure and I don't want to put pressure to see.
@Tom @Yvonne G or @HermanniChris maybe?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
All sounds good and yes sleeping is 100% normal. Try not to disturb him much. Shell is fine too. I would ditch the MVB and use the tube in conjunction with just a simple 50-75 watt indoor/outdoor heat bulb. MVBs can be too harsh for T. h. hermanni. Also, diet is off, please have a look at my care sheet or my site hermannihaven.com for diet tips.

Not sure if you're using nighttime heat or not but if you are, stop using it. Most Testudo species need a nighttime cool-down which is something many keepers do not realize. It can be crucial for long term health.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Breathe. Yes hatchlings are fragile, but you're over thinking things.

If your set up is right, leave the tort alone. It takes weeks to get used to their new home and the more you disturb it, the longer it will take.

Please read Chris' care sheet and follow it.

The asymmetrical shell is only a cosmetic issue, not a health issue. They're balled up in the egg and it can take time to straighten. Also if it was incubated at a high temperature some shell abnormalities can happen.

dezaxatul

Bucharest, Romania
Thank you very much for your answers!

I will ditch the MVB as soon as the tube arrives. I already have a 60W CHE.
I am not providing extra night-time heat. At night everything is turned off and his enclosure has the same temps as the temps in my house (between 22 and 25 degrees Celsius).

I will fix the diet. Dandelion arrives tomorrow.