Hellooo from Ohio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofbeatlove

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm Jess from Ohio! I bought my first Sulcata Tortoise today from our local pet store (Pet Supplies Plus). He/she looks to be a couple of months old, and in overall healthy condition. He is extremely cute (DUH!) and my boyfriend and I are very excited to share our lives with this little dude.. or gal!

Right now we have a modest set-up for him. A 20 gallon tank with coconut husk substrate, food/water dishes, a homemade "hide-spot" out of large rocks, UVB light, and heat light. Temperature has been right around 82-85 degrees in the hottest spot, and about 75 in the cooler area.

I don't think the coconut husk is the right substrate for him. He had trouble walking around the tank because it was in such large chunks. We broke it up into smaller pieces, about 1/4 inch, and he is making his way around MUCH easier. But, I'm still not satisfied with it. From what I've seen.. he should have a softer/damper substrate? What does everyone recommend?

In addition to our little baby giant, we have three aquatic turtles- a 6 month old Midland Painted, a 1 1/2 year old False Map, and an adult (age not sure) Yellow Belly Slider. We also have two dogs- a 3 year old Lab/Akita mix, and a 2 year old Shih Tzu/Mutt. I have one horse- an 8 year old Arabian gelding. And last but not least (okay.. maybe least) several fish and fidler crabs! I hope these pictures work..:p

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmytort

5 Year Member
He or she is so cute! I would get something different for substrate I like the look of Eco earth from zoo med and you can get it anywhere. You can plant stuff in it and it's really cool looking. I would also get a much larger heat lamp to bring that temp up as close to 100 as you can. Keep him good and hydrated with lots of greens and water and a really humid hide box for sleeping. They grow fast cuz mine is about the size of a football and he is about 2.5 years old. Let him get as much natural sun as possible so you may want to build a box with a screen top to place outside on nice days. Where at in Ohio my family is in the Columbus area.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO! :D I use coconut coir for my CDT babies. It's warm and cozy for them and they love to bury into it. It's kinda messy and sticks to them a little, but the humidity benefits out weigh the messy part of it. Good luck!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can see why you would get him, he is so sweet and innocent looking. Enjoy this stage as long as you can, because with sulcata it doesn't last long.

I like the coir with a little sand. Sand works well to help it hold moisture and if your tortoise is cared for correctly, you won't have a problem with any impaction. Sand is a natural part of soil any how. ;)

I would suggest a humid hide for him, to give him a place of high humidity.

Welcome to the forum and hope you post pictures of the rest of your gang in their various sections of the forum.

cindymachida

5 Year Member
below Sacramento
Hello and welcome. I purchased my baby sulcata about 2 months old. This is what I do. I mix about half sterilized play sand and half organic peat moss together in a bucket..put enough water in there to mix and just to be moist. That's what I was told to do to make like a humid environment. Everyday I go in and mix it up to make sure it's not bone dry and maybe add a bit of water. Cindy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jess:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I like to use cypress mulch or the fine grade orchid bark.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
That is one GOOD LOOKIN' baby Sully! Good luck & welcome to the forum!! :)

hoofbeatlove

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! I'll research all of your suggestions on the substrate, and get him the new stuff ASAP. Also, in his hide box, I've been moistening the coconut husk that is in there to make him a little humid cave.

hoofbeatlove

5 Year Member
I decided on peat/sphagnum moss and organic top soil. The plan was to do 50/50, but I think we're closer to 70/30 moss to soil (just because the bag of moss is SO BIG!). The mixture is still pretty moist, so I only lightly misted a tiny bit in his hide spot and left the rest alone. We also put a "back" to his hide spot. Initially it was two-sided, but I figured it would stay moister and feel more like an actual "hide spot" if it was more enclosed. I think he likes his new substrate! :p7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.