Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I live in Northwest Indiana. I just became the proud foster mom to 2 torts. As far as I was told, females. One is a 15yr old sulcata, the other a 10yr old russian. I work at a small animal vet, and have had herps most of my life. I will post pics of their temp enclosure, and them as soon as I figure out how on the mobile app......any help? Lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Only a "foster", are you sure your not going to want to keep atleast one of them? Eager to see what they are looking like. Can you tell us why they were given up?

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I want to keep the sulcata. If she never leaves I won't be mad :) but one of the hazards of working at a vet is you end up with a lot of animals. We have 2 cats, 6 dogs, one foster dog, 1 parrot, 1 rabbit, and 3 foster buns. Plus a 6 month old and another on the way. Our house is very tiny too, so we are at our space and my husbands patience limit lol. So we will see! And I'm sorry I double posted. Trying to figure out the app is apparently past my technoloy knowledge limit....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aubs1220:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
They were given up because of their caregivers medical reasons. Though I'm glad they did due to poor nutrition given.

Aubs is fine :) thank you! IMAG1208.jpgIMAG1211.jpgIMAG1209.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I just reread my posts. I apologize for the typos, I'm on my phone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Russian...and look at that over-grown beak!

A bit of advice for your sulcata...he won't be able to submerge his nose and mouth in that waterer. It needs to be down into the ground, or else use one with lower sides.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Poor Russian...and look at that over-grown beak!

A bit of advice for your sulcata...he won't be able to submerge his nose and mouth in that waterer. It needs to be down into the ground, or else use one with lower sides.

One of my questions was going to be how do I file that down? She's eating fine, but I don't want it to get worse.

As soon as my hubby gets home I will have him help me lower that dish. Thanks!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is the metal pan even big enough for him to get into to soak?

As for the beak, can your Vet show you how to use a Dremmel to grind it down?

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Barely. I did a soak in the tub. I have to wait until my brother in law comes over this weekend, he's bringing one of those hard plastic kiddie pools. One of tthe smaller ones. I just bought a feed dish as a temp fix. Its a work in progress. I eventually want to replace the ” fencing” with brick or cinder blocks, if they become permanent fixtures.

I grind my parrots bek with a dremel. I wasn't sure if it was the same process. Ill make sure to do that today or tomorrow. As far as the scar, can anyone give me an idea of what could have caused it or if its still active?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you mean on the bottom of the Steppe tortoise? That's from being chewed on by a dog. And it looks pretty fresh. I figured you were treating it.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Aubs - welcome to TFO. My bias advice is keep the tortoises and get rid of everything else if your husband thinks you have too many...:D

Aubs1220 said:
I want to keep the sulcata. If she never leaves I won't be mad :) but one of the hazards of working at a vet is you end up with a lot of animals. We have 2 cats, 6 dogs, one foster dog, 1 parrot, 1 rabbit, and 3 foster buns. Plus a 6 month old and another on the way. Our house is very tiny too, so we are at our space and my husbands patience limit lol. So we will see! And I'm sorry I double posted. Trying to figure out the app is apparently past my technoloy knowledge limit....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Also not positive from the angle, but it kinda looks to me like that Russian might be a male, not a female. We would need other pictures to be more accurate on that, if gender matters in any way.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Tell me what view you need and I'll post more! And as far as the scar on the lil one, I have an appt on Thursday to have them checked out. That's the earliest I could get into the exotic vet around here. Not many of them around that I would trust anyway.

Sorry for the short posts. I have very limited access to an actual computer, so my phone usually has to suffice. Also it lowers my english skills considerably....

So to go into it more, They were given up to a couple who rescued them 8-9 years ago from a hoarding situation. This couple both recently had some major medical issues arise, so could no longer care for them. I got them about 3 days ago. I am more than likely going to keep the sulcata, but will keep the russian until (he/she) is healed. There is only one or two exotic vets in the area who I know anything good about, so getting into them can sometimes take a few days, and then working around my schedule, since I work at a vet as well- so am usually working the same hours- can be a chore. So I am going in on Thursday.

After picking them up and seeing the supplies that went with them, it doesn't surprise me that the sulcata has the pyramiding that she does. The had just bags of shredded cabbage, canned zoo-med fruit mixes, and dehydrated fruits and veggies pre dusted with Ca, as well as containers of Repto-Cal. They also just let them roam around their backyard with their dogs, so it would not surprise me if the russian's injury was a dog bite.

As you can see I quickly threw together an enlcosure, so any advice, or tweaks I need to make is more than appreciated. I planted some edible plants as checked from the lists that I've seen a few people post here, as well as timothy hay, cuttle bones so they can get their own Ca, and of course our grass and weeds. I am going to make an order to get some cactus pads, and other plants that may be more native for them then just the random weeds around my house. If anyone has a good suggestion, I'd appreciate it. I usually ordered stuff from turtlestuff.com in the past.

I did have one question and I would like it verified. I've seen on a few websites that you can make a Ca blocks from plaster. Is this true? I know cuttlebones are not expensive, and I don't mind buying them, I was more just curious.

So that is it in a nutshell. If anyone would like to help me sex them, let me know what picture angle you need. I am always up for learning more, so please advise and help away!

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Thanks!! Everyone here is super friendly. I can't wait to get some more ideas for a permanent enclosure, since I have a sneaky suspicion that I am no longer just a foster mom to the sulcata..... Don't tell my hubby yet.... Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.