Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisssMeganNicole

5 Year Member
I've made a few posts here and I am a beginner tortoise owner. I have only had one tortoise he/she was a Home's Hingeback but sadly he passed away the day after I got him. I'm 100% positive that he had a respiratory infection and that is quite common with wild caught tortoises. But, as soon as I realized he was sick it was too late and he seemed fine the day before when he first arrived. The enclosure conditions were fine, quite humid and temperatures in the warmest spot were between 82-90 and he/she had a nice humid hide and I kept water and food out for he/she to drink and soak in, and I offered the proper foods. I wish I would have known what I know now about wild caught tortoises :(

So, I'm looking to get another tortoise. I live in Monroe,NC and I can either house the tortoise indoors or out and I assume for now in the warmer months it would be better to put him/her outside. As I said before I am a beginner and from what I've read the hingebacks aren't the best choice for a beginner.

I am looking for an easy beginner tortoise and from what I have read the two best choices are either a sulcata or a russian tortoise. I think sulcatas get pretty big and I would prefer a tortoise under 6-7" full grown. If any of you guys could recommend another genus of tortoise which is well suited for a beginner and for my climate, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Megan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Megan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Russian tortoises are great beginner tortoises. And they do well outside.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I LOVE Sulcatas!:p
...but they do get big

Have you concidered a year old Cherryhead or Redfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.