Hello!

bella&george

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Bit of a late introduction but hi everyone! I found the tortoise forum about a month or so ago, and it's really helped change my perspective on tortoise care- and animal care in general. I have made many changes, and am planning to make many more so that my torts can be as healthy and happy as possible. :)
Now, for introductions!
I currently have 2 3-year old sulcata tortoises. Their names are Bella and George. (although I havent't found out their actual genders yet) Bella's about a foot long, and George around 10 inches. And yes, they do live together as a pair. We used to have a third but we gave Turbo away to another home a long time ago, and so far we haven't had any problems with the whole setup. ?
FC249C1B-89F9-40A5-854F-CE66AE1ED1A4.jpeg398767ED-695E-4498-BAE4-3BF064D6B5CA.jpegB542E894-1FFB-4756-BD2A-401BD7B54840.jpegE4C4A87F-9DF2-4296-88CB-2DD5EDF611DF.jpeg
The first 2 pictures are of Bella and the last 2 (with the black scute) are of George.
We also have 3 boy quail that live in a hutch in the backyard, as well as 2 cats, a dog, and 2 indoor rabbits.
I'm glad to be able to be apart of the forum. ?

bella&george

AZ
Hello and welcome. Keep reading all the important threads you can. Like why tortoises should not live in pairs and why tortoises and dogs dont get along.
Yes! I have read some threads about those topics, and I'm in the process of trying to work things out. Thank you for your response. ?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Good place to be, stick around and give your tortoises the best possible care by minding what our experts are saying, especially about them being kept together in pairs.
Can we see the enclosure too and get your setup conditions (humidity, temperature etc.)?

bella&george

AZ
Hi and welcome! Good place to be, stick around and give your tortoises the best possible care by minding what our experts are saying, especially about them being kept together in pairs.
Can we see the enclosure too and get your setup conditions (humidity, temperature etc.)?
Thank you for the welcome! Bella and George are currently living together in a temporary habitat while I plant and wait for the grass seed (which arrived in tha mail today) to grow and so that I can set up their permanent living space. DD002E03-DF5C-4F4E-99F9-BF4C635F789F.jpeg
Small, I know, but for now I take them out to roam around after their daily/every other day soak, usually for 40 mins or an hour. They get sunlight in the early morning and a little during the day, but throughout the hottest hours they have shade to block them from the sun. After I plant the seed, I won't be able to let them roam around the larger area anymore, but the seed should grow quite fast. I'm planning to set up a gate to block off the back porch and compost pile, move their burrow, and probably plant more seed in their current location to give them more space. It's very hot and dry here in AZ ( In the middle of summer it can easily get over 100 degrees) so I spray their burrow and shells often, as well as refill their water throughout the day. But, water gathers in their burrow which leads to it getting sightly flooded... when that happens I try to spray only the outside to let it dry. That's about it. Any suggestions on what I could do better for them now or questions on things I missed, I'm all ears and glad to answer. ?

Attachments

• 3946BCCD-192F-4797-88B9-8CFDFA604A30.jpeg
    3946BCCD-192F-4797-88B9-8CFDFA604A30.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8