Hello

Eenor

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
09D35023-1221-48C6-8672-76D3E5C6F321.jpeg
Hello! This is Rocky. I responded to a rehoming request on Craiglist and Rocky has been with me for almost three weeks. The posts that recommended daily soaking for tortoises having hard times adjusting to new environments were very helpful. Rocky’s initial hunger strike only lasted 6 days. He’a eating well now and getting more and more use to his new environment. I temporarily have him in commercial tortoise table with the separating wall removed. He has a T8 HO uvb and an incandescent flood light for heat. Temps range from 100° under the lamp to about 75° on the cold side. He also get’s time in a 2’x8’ expen with light and heat for more exercise. I’m planning to build him an outdoor enclosure (we live in Phoenix) with two boxes (4 sets) of Costco planters 2’hx4’wx12’l in the southwest corner of my yard against the cement block walls. I plan to cover it with expen panels. We have flood irrigation but that corner is at the highest elevation and I plan to fill the planter well above the berm level. Does anyone else have enclosures in yards with flood irrigation?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
He is beautiful.
Hello, Russian! Welcome to your new home. Russians love to borrow, They love santa barbra mix if you can get some from a local produce junction store. They love Escarole, Endive, Kale, Dandeloin, Spritzing the enclosure on rocks and plants to help maintain humidity levels. Also, plenty of hiding spots. My russian loves his castle home. He can walk up the later and go hangout on his deck, every night he sleeps in his castle room.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I would definitely recommend giving soaks 3 times a week to get him hydrated. (Warm water) Also to see how his poop looks to make sure he is healthy. I would make sure he has access to a food dish, and water bowl.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Hello welcome to the forum! My Tortoise's name is also Rocky! Here is the Russian care sheet. You will find great advice from this care sheet and throughout the forum. Make sure that you have a suitable bedding like cypress mulch and coconut fiber mixed or fine orchid bark. Also make sure that when you build the outdoor enclosure it is at least 4x8 feet because they need lots of room to roam. He also needs many plants and hides so that he can cool down. Try to get a T5 uvb light, they are much better for your tortoise. You will find the best advice here.